Going for it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I've been cycling now for about 3 months (after a gap of 15 years) on a Trice recumbent tricycle. I tend to do about 15 miles per day but have done a few longer journeys (26 miles has been my max so far).

I've got a bit of a hankering to cycle to my parents' house (39 miles away) as a surprise. I could potentially decide to cycle just there and get my husband to pick me up so it's not that I'd have to do 80 miles in total. However is it too big a jump from 26 miles max to 40 miles? Should I increase my distance in smaller stages (i.e. try 30 miles next)? For reference, after all my cycle rides I don't ever feel completely knackered, I tend to feel I could go a fair bit further, but the journey to my folks' includes some bigger hills than I'm used to and the Trice goes up hills like treacle.

So do I go for it, set off for pastures new 40 miles away, or might I come a-cropper?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
You'll be fine.

I've just jumped from a 60 mile trip to a 100 miles with no training whatsoever other than my daily 12 miles commuting. No unreasonable aches and/or pains.

You have a nice comfy seat on wheels which you don't need to even balance on!! Get on and do it! (but take a mobile so you can call your hubby if you really need to!). :smile:

longers

Legendary Member
I think you'll be just fine :biggrin:

If your husband is willing to pick you up from there anyway, then he should be willing to pick you up from almost there :smile:

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
longers said:
If your husband is willing to pick you up from there anyway, then he should be willing to pick you up from almost there :smile:
Yes this is true but I so hate failing at a task I set myself.

If I manage it (and scrounge a good hearty meal and a nice shower and a rest at the parents') I might try cycling some of the way back as well.

Sounds like the general consensus (of two people at least!) is 'go for it' so I think I will. I just won't warn the parents in case I don't manage it and to forestall comments such as "isn't it too far" and "isn't it rather dangerous" etc.

Oh, and as an aside, I've found Google Maps surprisingly helpful for cycling routes - I choose the start point and destination as normal and then ask for the route by foot, rather than car, and it seems to pick rather a nice route without too many busy roads.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I reckon, if you can do 26, you can do 40.

Give yourself plenty of time is the key thing, I think. That way, you can crawl up the hills, and have plenty of stops for a breather and a quick nibble of flapjack or whatever, if you need them. Factor in a nice stop for lunch (take some, or plan to be in a town with a nice cafe or pub) and you'll be fine. After all, with a decent stop for lunch, it's only two lots of 20 miles, and you can do that, easy! Don't push the pace too much, and perhaps try not to think too much about the actual mileage - just break it into stages based on landmarks, and tick them off.

Think of 26 as 2/3rds of 40, and does it seem easier? If you're more than halfway there, you can carry on!

My first tour, I did about 30 the first day (probably only done 20 before) and 50 the next. And that was on an upright, so there was all the stuff with saddlesores and stiff neck and shoulders, and so on, which you'll avoid with the trike. I find the extra weight is more than compensated for by the comfort.

And at the end of the day, I guess if you really do run out of steam, hubby could come and rescue you?

Of course, if you do the 40, stay over with parents, and then ride back, you've done your first tour on the Trice!:smile:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
sure 26 to 40 no problem, free meal and shower the incentive....indeed given that - it should be easier than 26... Just pick a nice dry and relatively wind free day and off you go...... :smile:

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Just go for it, you'll be fine. As others have said, make sure you drink and eat well, that's the key to long distances.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Auntie Helen said:
Oh, and as an aside, I've found Google Maps surprisingly helpful for cycling routes - I choose the start point and destination as normal and then ask for the route by foot, rather than car, and it seems to pick rather a nice route without too many busy roads.

Thank you very much indeed for that great tip. I can honestly say I don't think I would have thought of that :-)

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well yes, I realised that, but then thought if I wrote 'chapesses' as well I'd sound like a toff and not someone from Essex after all.

I think 'chaps' works as a collective noun for a group of cyclists of all genders, don't you?

pinkkaz

Veteran
Dayvo said:
How about 'cycose' (psychos)? :thumbsup:

There is a pub just down the road from me through which a cycle path runs and on the pub gate it says "watch out for the psycholists" which I think is a bit mean.

Top Bottom