Going to LBS tomorrow for wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colcazal

Hi Guys,

Off to LBS tomorrow, never set foot in one since I was a young lad. However, going to price wheels and tyres. Looking for Aluminium wheels (700's) How much should I pay for an OK pair of wheels and whats a fair price for tyres?
Also will I have to buy a new rear cassette to suit the new wheels or will my old 5 cog cassette fit direct?

Cheers,

Col

I changed my wheels recently for Mavic Askiums but I like to look on line to get a fair idea of price. I'm still using the cassette of my old wheels I think as long as its a free hub its ok but many older cassettes are a freewheel.

OP
OP
colcazal

colcazal

funny you put that link on, just closed that site and added it to my favourites. Seen a nice set of alloys so if LBS are more expensive I will buy online.

cheers,

Col

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If you've got a 5 speed it will be a screw on block and won't fit a modern wheel with a cassette hub. I would also be concerned about what frame your current wheels have come out of. If it is old enough to have a five speed freewheel the width across the dropouts is probably only 120mm, and hubs now need a 130mm spacing on a roadbike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Smokin's right here - you'll need a frame that can cope with 130mm spacing at the rear.

Wheels like Aksiums will accept any number of sprockets, so long as you have the right spacers... I have had my Aksiums run 7 and 8 speed and they will also run 9/10 with narrow spacers.

Best is to go to the local shop if not sure !

RedBike

Not even as simple as that. If the wheel as so old they take a 5speed freewheel they might be 27". If so modern wheels (or tyres) wont fit.

RedBike

Chance are unless we're talking about a high end bike here it will be almost as cheap for you to buy another bike second-hand.

Budget about £100 for the wheels / £20 each for the tyres.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
probably an idea if you let us know more details ~(bike make, shifters - indexed or friction etc) - if its 27" you can put 700c wheels on but you'd need long drop brakes (alonghas from spa cycles and to be honest braking would be better if your eexisting setup is sidepulls/centrepulls - approx 25 pounds) but you still can get 27" wheels alloy tis just your choices are limited.....

Tynan

Veteran
anyone else thinking this is one for the LBS?

OP
OP
colcazal

colcazal

Went to LBS.

Guy had a look at my wheels and said he had Aluminium wheels to fit. The 5 speed freewheel would fit with the aid of spacers.

Total price including tyres £100

We then discussed my plans for the bike. Told me that the bike would be a total money pit and not worth alot when complete. This just confirmed what I was thinking, so I bought an entry level racer as it is all I could afford.

Got the bike home last night and went for a short ride. Noticed straight away that chain was rattling front changer and not changing onto top ring correctly. Disappointed or what!! So the bike is going back tomorrow for gear adjustment and I will be going out in my faithful 80's bike today.

Cheers, Col

Tynan

Veteran
entry level is always going to be a little clunky, and new bikes suffer from cable stretch, not that it should have been like that for it's first ride, simple fix though

OP
OP
colcazal

colcazal

Yeah told about cable stretch before I left shop. Did not expect such poorly adjusted gears though. Simple fix I know!

I have another issue now with the LBS. Just found my bike up to £70 cheaper online. I know that you have no come back for niggles when you buy online but £70 is £70. I asked the sale person before I bought the bike if the price was competitive obviously he said yes, silly question for me to ask I suppose!! I will bring this up tomorrow when I take the bike back to.

Also, I went on the manufacturers site to check the spec of my bike. I found that the spec had changed slightly. I am wondering if the LBS have sold me the 2007 bike for more than the 2008 bike.

All in all I am left a bit disappointed with the LBS. I am sure these issues will be sorted out tomorrow, who knows I might even get an upgrade for my hassle (wishful thinking)

Cheers,

Col

From what i can see the 2007 model is Silver and the 2008 model is White

I hope you get things sorted in your favour and that the LBS has'nt tried to pull a fast one on you ?

I'm very lucky where i live my LBS is very small (husband & wife team) and are keen cyclist's ... his prices are usually very competitive with the net and where he is a few pounds more i think it is worth paying for the service and advice i get from him and if you buy from them they will fit for free

Simon

Top Bottom