Good dealer for large purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

1894mk2

I'm about to buy (after a fair amount of research what is for me a large purchase:-

SRAM rival groupset
Mavic Aksium wheelset
Carbon seatpost
Bars
Fizik bar gel kit and tape

Seems Merlin or JE James are pretty keen on price but if anyone can advise on a really good place or some really good deals that would be really appreciated.

Feel free to suggest alternatives or ideas

Brandane

Legendary Member

festival

Über Member
I'm about to buy (after a fair amount of research what is for me a large purchase:-

SRAM rival groupset
Mavic Aksium wheelset
Carbon seatpost
Bars
Fizik bar gel kit and tape

Seems Merlin or JE James are pretty keen on price but if anyone can advise on a really good place or some really good deals that would be really appreciated.

Feel free to suggest alternatives or ideas

Have you considered how much its going to cost when you have to pay your LBS to sort things when you get stuck.
Of course you may have all the tools and knowlege required, but if you cultivate your LBS most good ones will offer a discount to loyal customers and be a source of help forever.

Carbon

Veteran
Just a quick comment on Merlin Cycles, had my first experience of them this week and they were fantastic. Having been looking for a good price on a SRAM RED Ceramic BB and a Rival brake set I found Merlin to be pretty much up there with the best deals, then when I went to place the order I joined (for Free) their on-line VIP club and that automatically takes at least another 10% off the price for all your orders and that made their prices unbeatable.

Ordered Friday afternoon and rec'd everything Monday morning by signed for special delivery and very well packaged (also free).

I think they carry what you might call a limited stock range but buy that stock in bulk so get great prices which they pass on to their customers.

P.S I don't work for them nor am I on commission, just think good service should be highlighted.

Cheers.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
For that sort of purchase, might be worth approaching your local bike shop. They tend to be very competitive with multiple buys.

monnet

Guru
I'll second Merlin. Absolutely first class service on two wheel sets I bought last year. Certainly for wheels, I think they're the best value around. Very friendly and helpful on the phone too.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
JE James are crap with stock - they say they have stuff, you order it, wait weeks then they cancel the order. Make double sure they have them before ordering.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Unless your LBS will match - at the very least - on line prices, and then some, why not just do the research and Google each part, and purchase online from the supplier offering the best price for each individual item. I have found all of the above suppliers good, and would add PBK. Sometimes you find a relatively obscure bike shop online with an amazing offer! Prices are changing all the time, as are the discounts offered.

you could take your costs to the LBS and ask them if they can try to match it, even if they are a little more expensive, at least it makes it easier to take things back in case of waranty and upgrading - build the raport with them and it may serve you as well in the long run.

its always good to go face to face with people.

good luck

Top Bottom