Good drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crazy580

A lot of the posts on here are about bad drivers, and it can be a bit depressing. Not all drivers are bad ones, so post your encounters with good drivers here.

A few months ago, it was pouring down with rain, I had taken primary position due to a lot of parked cars on my left. Van driver was behind me, and couldn't overtake, so he kept well back and waited until I had passed all the parked cars and waited until it was safe to overtake. Gave him a thumbs up and got a wave back. Cheered up my commute for sure!

I have to agree. The vast majority of drivers I come across are considerate and it can be weeks between bad situations. Unfortunately, we only remember the bad/close passes that scare us, and not the hundreds that pass without incident.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I've just sat and mentally re-played my ride in this morning, and i can think of about 10 examples where drivers held back, gave way, passed wide or slowed down. Can't think of a single bad thing.

Thanks !!!!!

Mad at urage

I went out this morning for 18 miles and of the dozens of drivers who overtook me, most moved fully into the outer lane to do so. Climbing from the M4 junction and past Broadribb Cycles here http://maps.google.c...=12,328.87,,0,0 the lorry behind waited whilst I overtook the parked cars, then waited again as he was turning into the petrol station. Further waiting by other drivers followed whenever I had to pass the parked cars on the climb.

Yesterday was similar, and in fact most rides. The idiots overtaking too closely, cutting in or RLJing are rare, relative to the helpful and patient drivers (usually).

girovago

I wrote to an English haulage firm just the other day to praise one of their drivers. Here's a cut & paste of the email:

"This is just a quick note to express my appreciation of the patience and understanding shown by the driver of one of your articulated lorries in Glasgow this morning around 08.45hrs.

I was cycling into work and near my office he drew alongside me at traffic lights (yes, I'm one of the few who stops!).

Anyway, beyond the lights the road is narrowed by a pinch-point island through which there's only room for one vehicle. I always ride centrally through that section to prevent dangerous squeezes by some drivers. Immediately after the pinch-point is a right-turn filter lane which takes me into my office.

Throughout my negotiating these hazards, your driver was noticeably giving me the space and time to get where I needed to be. As I turned right and he passed me on the inside lane he gave me a wave from his cab, which I acknowledged.

Presumably it was a thank-you for my clear signalling and attention to vehicles behind me.

HGVs and cyclists rarely mix well but your driver shows that it only takes a little mutual respect to ease the flow and everyone has a nicer experience as a result.

Thanks again and please pass on my gratitude to the driver, he sets an example for others to follow."

I'd had a few inconsiderate drivers on my commute that morning and wasn't in a great mood. However, this was the final encounter of the day and his actions, along with that simple wave, put a smile back on my face. I'm quick enough to criticise bad driving so it's only fair to acknowledge the good.

rowan 46

Über Member
I think good drivers are rarer than bad drivers. Probably more than 90% of road users let me go about my business without giving me hassle but, that's not good driving that's the expected standard of road users, that's the way it's supposed to work so no kudos from me for that. Occasionally however a driver will do something that inconveniences them to help send you on your way. I don't know if that makes them a good driver (I don't drive) but it shows them as a considerate driver. these are the drivers who put a smile on my face it's nice to know that some people are not selfish all the time. (I am not saying I'm perfect I have been known to cuss under my breath at a pedestrian stepping in front of me and a few other sins as well)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Bad news travels 7x faster than good news!

and passes you twice as close!
smile.gif

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
A lot of the posts on here are about bad drivers, and it can be a bit depressing. Not all drivers are bad ones, so post your encounters with good drivers here.

A few months ago, it was pouring down with rain, I had taken primary position due to a lot of parked cars on my left. Van driver was behind me, and couldn't overtake, so he kept well back and waited until I had passed all the parked cars and waited until it was safe to overtake. Gave him a thumbs up and got a wave back. Cheered up my commute for sure!

I used to collect footage of good drivers and would sometimes even post it on my Youtube channel (the "Blatant courtesy" vid springs to mind). I gave up after a while as I accumulated such a large catalogue of good clips that I would never have time, I made a collage (is that the word) but it just looked like a clip of traffic driving in town and lost its impact.

Good driving doesn't make good footage. there's not enough drama I guess.

So in answer yep...If I consider how many vehicles pass me (and i pass
thumbsup.png
) each year there are literally millions of good, considerate drivers out there

I gotta admit my impression of this site at time is that its 99% "Look at this bad thing" video so its nice to hear some good stories, perhaps an exaggeration there but hey ho....

Good behaviour from drivers (e.g. waiting instead of sqeezing through) when I'm turning right at one particular junction for me always gets a wave from me. They are holding up quite a busy A road better than I can!

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Agree with most of the other posts above. There's not a day's commute goes by without at least 1 driver being considerate and can probably count on one hand the twattish driving personally experienced.

Saying that, there isn't really a lot of traffic at 6 a.m. so that probably has something to do with it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I encounter very few bad drivers - most everyone is pretty decent out on the roads. The joy of interacting with so many makes my commute a pleasure.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I encounter very few bad drivers - most everyone is pretty decent out on the roads.

Likewise. Unfortunately, when I do encounter a bad driver I remember it for longer than the good ones, but maybe that's just me. It can also make me forget that the majority of drivers aren't bad - essentially the actions of a minority can cloud my view of them as a whole.

It's probably the same for car drivers - they see a cyclist with no lights in the dark (for example) and suddenly we're all like it.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Sent to Maytree Travel (a local bus company) earlier today:

======================
Hello,

I am writing regarding the driving standards that I have observed from your drivers. As a cyclist, my experience of bus drivers generally has not always been good and at times has been appalling.

However, I can honestly say that Maytree drivers have shown themselves to be very courteous and careful on every occasion that I have encountered them. This puts your company in a very good light and is to be commended.

Thank you,
======================

Top Bottom