Good news for West Mids. cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Saw that in the mail on Friday night, did make me chuckle. I know Birmingham Council come in for a lot of stick for some of their policies, but scrapping a golf course in favour of a future triathlon facility has to be a move in the right direction.

I love this line:
"For the first year at least it will be a public park. We can keep the grass trimmed, not to golf course standards, but enough for people to enjoy a walk or a cycle."

Great stuff, the momentum is building.......................

rh100

Is all that been concentrated in that one area then? OK it's a start but how about the rest of Brum. East Birmingham has a few half assed routes for bikes - there is the Cole Valley route that looks good on paper - when I thought about riding it - it seems that from a write up about it online some parts of it are just mud tracks - effectively cutting the route in half unless you fancy off roading it.

Will1985

Über Member
That would wind up the purple people!! I've always thought that east of Birmingham would be a better place, roughly the area between the airport and Meriden, or slightly north between Coleshill and Shustoke. There is great access already from M6 and M42 (Meriden also being the supposed "centre of England" and mecca for cyclists), plenty of empty space, reasonable roads, and quite a few similar sized bodies of water.

Those areas probably don't fall under BCC control sadly.

Young Un

He added that longer term aim is for an outdoor velodrome, something the West Midlands lacks

What, where did they get that info from?

Will1985

Über Member
Oh yeah, and what's the point in another outdoor velodrome...?

A nice indoor one (again, near the airport) would save a 2 hour drive to Manchester, Newport, or eventually London.

Dave5N

Über Member
It won't upset us, Will. I'd love it to happen. I'm not sure a velodrome in Birmingham halfway between Halesowen and Aldersley is the best thing though. Better nationally speaking to build one in the North East.

A decent Crit. circuit is a priority from my point of view, and a good MTB XC course.

What Birmingham needs is an indoor track and I can't see that happening.

Top Bottom