Good rear bike light £10-£20 (is that enough?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This is probably a topic that has been done to death and I could search but in all probability the results would be from last winter and maybe not relevant to what is currently available.

Last winter I used a cheap set from ebay (Reebok/£12 delivered) and was more than happy with the brightness and ease of use. the only snag was/is the rear light was prone to water ingress which meant regular cleaning to keep the on/off switch functioning. I am going to stick with the front light and replace what needs replacing, the rear.

Which is a good, bright, water/salt proof rear light? I have mudgaurds but it still gets wet. If anyone has a link to that killer deal for the best light at a price that beats all other suppliers hands down then please post it here. I see plenty in my price range but without hearing all your views don't know if I am just buying another one winter wonder. Left to my own devices I would probably go for cateye but only because I have heard of them and have had a few cateye computers. I will mail order or collect from a 'local' supplier like Halfrauds or Argos.

Advice please.

Steve

Yes £10-£20 is reasonable, you can pick up the Smart Superflash for circa £13, the light can be prone to water ingress too but its brightness makes up for that and you could use vasaline or electrical tape to avoid that. Just above that, £21 iirc, is the Blackburn Mars 4.0 and it is also a fabulously bright light just a bit more robust.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As above, I recommend Smart Superflash, the new Smart 1 watt, Mars 3.0, Mars 4.0, RSP Astrum (2 x 1/2 Watt LED), Nightrider cherrybomb, to name a few that are about £20.

Look to have two lights minimum though - 1 backup.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Ok, mixed reviews for the RSP Astrum although I did find it for sale for a bit over £11 inc p&p. A lot of reviews mention poor sealing.

The smart 2 x 1/2 watt has a short battery life but the Smart Polaris 1/2 watt seems to have good reviews for battery life and waterproofness so at only £8 delivered HERE I will order one with THIS as a secondary light unless anyone has a damn good reason not to?

The smart 2 x 1/2 watt has a short battery life but the Smart Polaris 1/2 watt seems to have good reviews for battery life and waterproofness so at only £8 delivered HERE I will order one with THIS as a secondary light unless anyone has a damn good reason not to?

I've got a smart bspoke light which is identical to that smart polaris 1/2 watt and it is almost identical to the superflash (same bulb, different casing) so in terms of battery life its almost identical. I can't really comment on waterproofness as mine has never been exposed to the same extreme conditions as my superflash. I prefer the superflash but that's more to do with its shape, you can't go wrong for £8 :thumbsup:

My brother uses the 3 led polaris, its not as bright (you wouldn't expect it to be) but it seems to a good light, again I cant comment on waterproofness as I've only seen it drenched once but he has never complained.

Two lights as you've probably read from various threads is a good thing in my and other folks opinion, one flashing, one solid :thumbsup:

I've just put one of THESE on the rack of my winter bike, it's a cracking light, very bright and loads of flashing options. I chose it as I stick to Cateye lights as they have never let me down, and I wanted something a bit wider as it was going on my rack. I've also used one of THESE for the past couple of years, this is now on the seat post of my winter bike as a secondary light to the new one.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
.......the Smart Polaris 1/2 watt seems to have good reviews for battery life and waterproofness so at only £8 delivered HERE I will order one with THIS as a secondary light........

I have ordered the 2 lights I mentioned as at a combined price of only £12 delivered it would be rude not to. With the 1/2 watt on the rack and the regular 3 LED unit mounted to the seat post that should have the rear lighting requirements covered.

this may be a little off post but i bought a couple of the reflective bands with LED's from the pound shop a while ago and used them on my arms as an extra bit of visibilty on the Martletts ride on Friday and they were pretty good.

for a quid, could also throw them in the seat pack as an emergency backup

Nufab

Über Member
Cateye 610, as posted by Smokeysmoo. I had one on my MTB, and liked it so much that I bought the white version for my road bike. At £12 it's a bargain.

musa

Über Member
theres a lot cateye blackburn mars seem to do the job but get two either two of the same or different i recently bought the lights from lidl as a backup pair and have it tied on the rear 'fork' - basically next to wheel and have a cateye onmy saddlebag so your best with two if not one is fine

I have a Smart 1/2 Watt 'Lunar' and it's pretty good. 2x AAA batteries and they don't need replacing often and I've not had water ingress, but then it does sit right under my saddle (still visible, don't worry) which might help. I got it really cheap as part of a set, which Wiggle (IIRC) was selling off 2 years back. It came with a front light as well for about £11 (!)

Top Bottom