Good XC lightweight tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Panaracer 1.8s were great all round tyres and still worth the money.

I been using Specialized Houffalize tyres (two for £30 at bike plus) which is a good all round tyre, very cheap too. They look a bit more grippy than others, but roll very fast and grip well. Good in wet conditions too

barq

Yep, the Fire XC Pros are a good all-rounder. The Pros have a kevlar bead, there used to be a cheaper version which was steel and IIRC was generally inferior. So if you see a super cheap version do check what you are getting.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

I'm 12st 9lbs.
I don't aim to get above 13st if I can help it.
Most of the tracks I ride on around here are dusty track, compact gravel, loose stones and branch rooted mud tracks. I'd like a lighter weight tyre that won't sacrifice grip and has minimal rolling resistance. ie the perfect tyre...lol
At the moment I'm using Bontrager Jones ACX 2.2's and they are like tractors tyres and I can feel the resistance all the time.....although the grip is super.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

How about the Panaracer trailblasters?
Can get a pair from Chain reaction...folding tyres for £30:wacko:

It gets mixed reviews.....but then again I'm sure with my above mentioned terrain they should be ok....????

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Many people do rate Trailblasters as a dry summer tyre, but I can't be bothered to switch tyres about and have found that the Fire XCs do well in all conditions. (Muddy roots excepted - but then what does?)

I'm about the same weight as you and find the 2.1s as good as anything, year round, up here. Somepeople say in clay soils in winter a pure mud tyre will clog less, but we don't have those conditions in the Lakes. Either rocky or thin goop.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Another vote for the FIRE XCs. Fast, light and good enough for most conditions. This year I kept mine on all through the year.

Cyclista

And another one on Fire XC's, I use the 2.1 folding as I find the 1.8 a bit on the skinny side. Not too keen on the Trailblaster unless it's quite damp/muddy, don't like the feel of the blocks squirming on hardpack climbs.

christian dieu

Maverick Goose said:
Another happy Fire XC user:smile:-also been trying Razer XC PRs which are lower profile knobblies and faster rolling, especially on tarmac/hardpack.

I have been using the Razer XC PRs for a month or so and love them. I get a fair few punctures from flint and thorns so the PR bit is useful as it seems to do a good job. And as the 2.1 weighs only 490g it gives a very fast ride uphill.

Globalti

Legendary Member
As posted earlier I've used the Fire XCs in 1.8 size all year..... but last night's ride, which took in a lot of field mud, was a nightmare; the bike went in every direction but straight. Concerned fellow club members checked my treads and decided they were actually slicks and it was time I bought some new ones! So I'm off to Merlin Cycles for a set of Fire XCs in 2.1 size for winter use.

Top Bottom