Goodbye Mondeo Man...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The end of the Ford Mondeo is upon us. The last of Tony Blair's political stain has been mopped up... I've owned one in the past and figures would suggest you probably have too or at least know someone that did or have ridden in one... The king of the average. The backbone of the working family up and down the country...

SUV's have taken it's place. The bolt upright seating position, giving the motorist sense of power and stewardship of the road and practicality has won the day... Oh i wish for the days of the Estate car again... Now we have these giant egg shaped cars clogging up the roads instead.

Oh well, the arrow of time moves steadily along...

Thank (insert your deity here) For Bicycles...

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I agree, I also hanker after another estate car. Had one (a Mazda 626) and it was perfect for what I needed. Got a van now, which has its own issues (going to the tip needs a permit, van insurance, road tax high) but I probably won't bother replacing it when the time comes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Qashqai is slightly shorter and lighter than my saloon, and more fuel efficient. It's actually easier to get in and out of - come on, slightly dodgy back. The suspension is actually better at handling the crap roads locally than my car, although the saloon is way better on the motorway, and I can lift 4 big trail bikes on it - not bothered with the Qashqai - although it will take two MTB's in the boot.

Last edited:
OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I had one a cooking 1.8 I think it was. Completely dependable, only thing that needed repair were the rear subframe bushes which I did myself and a broken front suspension coil when I bought it.
Ahh yes. A common fault. I have that exact same thing happen to me. Started it up, got the end of the road and *BANG* Coil Spring smashed its way off...

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
My Passat Estate is possibly one of the smoothest driving cars I've had. Too many electronic driver interference aids though.

Cerdic

I thought it was already dead. We haven't had any on our fleet for a couple of years, and I haven't seen one in a Ford dealers for ages!

I wasn't keen on the last generation Mondeo, it felt a bit cumbersome.

The earlier ones were much better. Very practical (the size of Christmas tree I got in a Mk1 was incredible!) and they drove really well.

But yeah, people only buy this kind of car now if it has a posh German badge...

Mr Celine

Discordian
I had two mark ones, a pre facelift 1.8 GXL and a post facelift 2.0 zetec.
The latter managed an indicated 125mph on the A1 (near Euskirchen) before an annoying squealing noise from the front passenger seat made me slow down.
Great cars, the mark two onwards were just too bloated.

OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I thought it was already dead. We haven't had any on our fleet for a couple of years, and I haven't seen one in a Ford dealers for ages!

I wasn't keen on the last generation Mondeo, it felt a bit cumbersome.

The earlier ones were much better. Very practical (the size of Christmas tree I got in a Mk1 was incredible!) and they drove really well.

But yeah, people only buy this kind of car now if it has a posh German badge...
Sales were dwindling fast in recent times. You don't see as many new ones about as you did in the 90's and 2000's

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I wonder if there any correlation between SUV sales and the fitting of ‘traffic calming measures’ (speed bumps) ?

It was a reason given to me by my neighbour many years ago when SUV sales were in their infancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.