Google Streetview

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
It's dead handy at work.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I guess it could be good for checking out an area you might want to move to, could be good for when you email someone directions too....

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
It's great for seeing what a horrible colour the people who bought your last house off you have painted the front door. And why oh why oh why did they get rid of the rose bush!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rhythm Thief said:
I've just been playing with Google Streetview. Is there a point, or is it just anouther pointless novelty?

You could say that about the internet generally....

I think it's fun, I've 'walked' all around my area, which I can just as easily do for real. I suppose it's like asking if there's a point to playing Pong, or whatever it was called, if you already owned tennis raquets and a ball....

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Pointless I would think, RT.

I asked them to wait till the magnolia was in flower.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think it will be useful when planning a route. You can zoom into a junction and see what significant landmarks there are when you need to turn off a route. I use the ariel photo's already for that but now you could look from a cyclist's point of view. As only about half of Bristol is covered though I imagine it won't cover the bit I want next time I try to use that feature.

U

User482

summerdays said:
I think it will be useful when planning a route. You can zoom into a junction and see what significant landmarks there are when you need to turn off a route. I use the ariel photo's already for that but now you could look from a cyclist's point of view. As only about half of Bristol is covered though I imagine it won't cover the bit I want next time I try to use that feature.

Yes, and I suspect that the next generation of sat navs will use something like street view - and will turn as you do.

Arch

Married to Night Train
User482 said:
Yes, and I suspect that the next generation of sat navs will use something like street view - and will turn as you do.

Excellent. once that happens, how long before someone knocks someone down and then complains they weren't on Streetview?

(I did find, on the one occasion I used a Satnav, that my eye was drawn to the screen a few times, to watch the arrow/map moving about....)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
User482 said:

Combine that with a virtual reality headset and a turbo trainer and the roads will be safe for cars again!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
User482 said:

Yes and I can see a problem with that, when they change the road layout and some idiots can't cope with it not looking the same!!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
User482 said:

There've been a few prototypes already. The idea is to really get it going in phones or some other device for pedestrians/travellers too.

Top Bottom