Got myself a bargain on Ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I've been stalking a touring frame for the past four or five days and nearly missed the final stages of bidding. It's a lovely new and unused Dave Yates Hoteller 700
yates.JPG

Cost new £729 - Ebay price £241 + £15 delivery woo hoo!

It makes up for me wrecking a rear wheel on today's Audax. I finished the ride and retired the wheel.

I can't wait to build it up. I'm off to Woodrups tomorrow to have a rear wheel built for the Yates. I've already got a spare to hand for my Galaxy.

just jim

Is it the right size for you? If so then good work - respek for Dave Yates.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Dannyg said:
I'm jealous!

I couldn't believe the lack of interest in the frame. There was only one other bidder despite the seller flagging the auction in the CTC forums. Perhaps the 525 tubing put folk off.

Danny

Legendary Member
What size was it as a matter of interest?

I have an automatic search set up on eBay and it didn't pick up this beauty :ohmy:

asterix

Comrade Member
vernon said:
I couldn't believe the lack of interest in the frame. There was only one other bidder despite the seller flagging the auction in the CTC forums. Perhaps the 525 tubing put folk off.

525 is the modern 531 isn't it?

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Dannyg said:
What size was it as a matter of interest?

I have an automatic search set up on eBay and it didn't pick up this beauty :tongue:

It's a 22.5" frame. I stumbled across it while looking for 531 tubed bikes then touring frames and stumbled upon the Yates frame by chance. I was stalking a Woodrup frame but the Yates was too good to ignore especially after seeing several on last Sunday's Audax.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

asterix said:
525 is the modern 531 isn't it?

It depends who you listen to. Bob Jackson will not touch the stuff and is quite snotty about it. It's sort of like 531 and unlike 531, 525 can be tig welded which seems to be the method that influential frame making companies want to use.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Cathryn said:
I tried to find his emporium last week and couldn't see it. I know it's on Stanningley Road but any idea where?

Go to www.maps.google.com and type LS13 3EG into the search window. The marker is close enough to the shop.

I'm sticking with Woodrups - faultless service and it's still family owned.

Danny

Legendary Member
Bob Jackson's did a really good job of respraying my frame a few years ago. Didn't find the staff snotty at all, but maybe it depends who you see.

I believe the original Bob Jackson is long retired, and the business is now owned by someone else.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Dannyg said:
Bob Jackson's did a really good job of respraying my frame a few years ago. Didn't find the staff snotty at all, but maybe it depends who you see.

I believe the original Bob Jackson is long retired, and the business is now owned by someone else.

I've got a feeling that Bob Jackson is dead.

The snottiness of the staff is a common criticism when Bob Jackson's mentioned in most cycling forums.

I called in a Woodrups last night to price up some new wheels and got the customary exemplary service and a discount on the goodies that I bought (not wheels - I'm comparing prices with outher makers but Woodrups seem to be competitive).

Top Bottom