Got put in my place

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Christopher

Über Member
by a gurl! Skinny blonde, mid-20s (hard to tell wi' shades and helmet though) on a studdy-tyred hardtail! Shoot me now.

I was cycling slowly home, she flashed past, I reacted and chased her down, but it was a bit of an effort keeping up, then we got to the bottom of a short 1-in 7 (the old tramway incline in Avenham Park, Preston) with narrow gates, where she promptly hopped off and walked up the incline. Argh! I was following so close I almost fell off as I had to stop as well. Kids these days...

Frustruck said:
by a gurl! Skinny blonde, mid-20s (hard to tell wi' shades and helmet though) on a studdy-tyred hardtail! Shoot me now.

I was cycling slowly home, she flashed past, I reacted and chased her down, but it was a bit of an effort keeping up, then we got to the bottom of a short 1-in 7 (the old tramway incline in Avenham Park, Preston) with narrow gates, where she promptly hopped off and walked up the incline. Argh! I was following so close I almost fell off as I had to stop as well. Kids these days...

This was where it all began to go wrong! ;)

Maz

Guru
She clearly thought you might be stalking her, so she did the sensible thing to dismount and let you pass.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a similar experience years ago. I was whizzing along on my road bike doing about 20 mph and I heard the characteristic sound of big knobbly tyres on tarmac coming up quickly behind me. Suddenly a young woman on a MTB went past doing about 30 mph, one hand on the bars and the other holding her bottle. She took a quick drink, called out a cheery 'hi', replaced the bottle in its cage and shot off even faster. I saw her turn off the road up a steep bridleway ahead of me. By the time I'd got to the gate she was almost at the top of a hill way up to my left. Boy, she was fit...

A month later, I spotted her in one of the MTB mags - it was Deb Murrell.

Womens' Cross-country Mountain Bike, Atlanta Olympics, 1996

1, Paola Pezzo, Italy, 1:50:51
2, Alison Sydor, Canada, 1:51:58
3, Susan Demattei, Fairfax, Calif., 1:52:36
4, Gunn-Rita Dahle, Norway, 1:53:50
5, Elsbeth Vink, Netherlands, 1:54:38
6, Annabella Stropparo, Italy, 1:55:56
7, Regina Marunde, Germany, 1:57:21
8, Kathy Lynch, New Zealand, 1:57:40
9, Eva Orvosova-Lowe, Slovak Republic, 1:57:56
10, Juliana Furtado, New York, 1:58:32
11, Laurence Leboucher, France, 1:59:00
12, Daniela Gassmann, Switzerland, 1:59:11
13, Lesley Tomlinson, Canada, 2:01:04
14, Alla Yepifanova, Russia, 2:01:35
15, Mary Grigson, Australia, 2:02:38
16, Silvia Furst, Switzerland, 2:03:04
17, Erica Green, South Africa, 2:03:06
18, Katerina Neumannova, Czech Republic, 2:04:03
19, Katerina Hanusova, Czech Republic, 2:04:05
20, Laura Blanco, Spain, 2:04:20
21, Lenka Ilavska, Slovak Republic, 2:04:43
22, Deb Murrell, Britain, 2:04:44
23, Kanako Tanikawa, Japan, 2:05:44
24, Sandra Temporelli, France, 2:06:57
25, Gao Hongying, China, 2:09:08
26, Silvia Rovira, Spain, 2:09:17
27, Nadezhda Pashkova, Russia, 2:16:36

ColinJ said:
I had a similar experience years ago. I was whizzing along on my road bike doing about 20 mph and I heard the characteristic sound of big knobbly tyres on tarmac coming up quickly behind me. Suddenly a young woman on a MTB went past doing about 30 mph, one hand on the bars and the other holding her bottle. She took a quick drink, called out a cheery 'hi', replaced the bottle in its cage and shot off even faster. I saw her turn off the road up a steep bridleway ahead of me. By the time I'd got to the gate she was almost at the top of a hill way up to my left. Boy, she was fit...

A month later, I spotted her in one of the MTB mags - it was Deb Murrell.

Womens' Cross-country Mountain Bike, Atlanta Olympics, 1996

1, Paola Pezzo, Italy, 1:50:51
2, Alison Sydor, Canada, 1:51:58
3, Susan Demattei, Fairfax, Calif., 1:52:36
4, Gunn-Rita Dahle, Norway, 1:53:50
5, Elsbeth Vink, Netherlands, 1:54:38
6, Annabella Stropparo, Italy, 1:55:56
7, Regina Marunde, Germany, 1:57:21
8, Kathy Lynch, New Zealand, 1:57:40
9, Eva Orvosova-Lowe, Slovak Republic, 1:57:56
10, Juliana Furtado, New York, 1:58:32
11, Laurence Leboucher, France, 1:59:00
12, Daniela Gassmann, Switzerland, 1:59:11
13, Lesley Tomlinson, Canada, 2:01:04
14, Alla Yepifanova, Russia, 2:01:35
15, Mary Grigson, Australia, 2:02:38
16, Silvia Furst, Switzerland, 2:03:04
17, Erica Green, South Africa, 2:03:06
18, Katerina Neumannova, Czech Republic, 2:04:03
19, Katerina Hanusova, Czech Republic, 2:04:05
20, Laura Blanco, Spain, 2:04:20
21, Lenka Ilavska, Slovak Republic, 2:04:43
22, Deb Murrell, Britain, 2:04:44
23, Kanako Tanikawa, Japan, 2:05:44
24, Sandra Temporelli, France, 2:06:57
25, Gao Hongying, China, 2:09:08
26, Silvia Rovira, Spain, 2:09:17
27, Nadezhda Pashkova, Russia, 2:16:36

Wimmins is totally wicked isent they?

hackbike 6

I got overtaken by a girl the other week.I knew I was getting slower.:angry:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Reminds me of a message I saw posted on another group by a bloke who'd been running - pretty fast - in a marathon, when a woman loped by. Just in time, he realised it was Paula Radcliffe, and out of curiosity decided to see whether he could keep up. He sped up until he was basically sprinting pretty much as fast as he was able, and just about kept pace for a couple of hundred yards before falling back, heaving for breath. She of course just kept going. Leaving him to come to terms with the fact that she runs about as fast as he can run - for 26 miles.

OP
OP
C

Christopher

Über Member
Maz! Naughty boy! Actually she did move to one side just before the climb, hoping I guess that I'd pass. The other odd thing was that she was using those lollipop-style SPDs which are great but tend to clog badly with mud...

Speaking of fast MTb'ers, we passed through Fort Bill the day before the MTB races in June & saw some pros training, their speed is amazing, I'd be hard put to keep up on the lightweight road machine...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
On the first year we did L2B on skates, a girl on an MTB roasted me up Ditchling, I was seriously not impressed. I'd buried myself trying to keep up.

Bear in mind going up on skates is like having a 2.5kg bike, and I'm not so slow uphill. (LOL, those on the DD will be laughing now, watching me sweat 25kg of recumbent slowly up those little inclines!!).

Maz

Guru
I got put in my place this a.m...thought I was going quite fast on the dual-carriageway until a roadie with those forearm resting bar things breezes past me like nobody's business.

Top Bottom