Got the Sirrus BUT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Well on Sat I picked up my shiney new Sirrus. I did the 7 odd mile to the station yesterday afternoon. Now I know what you mean about Halfrauds, the front light they attached came loose, it was facing front, facing back, on the way home last night on the dark country roads. It meant me holding it with one hand.
But! the bigger problem is theframe size whichis not their fault. I fear it might be a bit small. I'm 5'11'' and the frame is a 51 cm /20'' I just seem to be leaning down on the handlebars a bit. The guy in the shop were I tried a Pinnacle though I needed a 20'' thats why I ordered that size. Now can I adjust the handle bars on this bike? to bring them up a bit?
A bit pi$$ed off I have wasted a few quid on thiss but it might be ok in the end:wacko:

Maz

Guru
That sounds a bit of a bugger.

I've got a Sirrus too. I'm about 5'11" as well. Mine's a 57cm frame (Large). That said, though, it depends on your leg measurement etc. How much clearance space is there between groin and toptube when you straddle the bike? Is your saddle set to the correct height?

Maybe the bike is the right size for you but some adjustments might need to be made.

I'm not good on the subject of bike setup, but maybe someone else here can help...

Maz

Guru
The Jogger said:
The gap is about 4''
Is that with both feet flat on the floor? You're not on tiptoes or owt, are you? If so, 4" sounds OK to me.

Pedalling - you're knees should be slightly bent when your leg is at its most extended on the pedal stroke. You shouldn't be overstretching.

RedBike

I don't think we're talking of one size though

XS - 49cm 5` 0" - 5` 3" 152 - 160
S - 51cm 5` 3" - 5` 6" 160 - 168
M - 54cm 5` 6" - 5` 9" 168 - 175
L - 57cm 5` 9" - 6` 2" 175 - 188
XL - 61cm 6` 3" - 6` 6" 188 - 198

Maz

Guru
Did you go for a test ride on the 51cm Sirrus?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
User1314 said:
I'm 5' 7". I have the large size! (2005 vesrion). It was bought 2nd hand. I have no clearance on the frame at all when standing flat-footed.

However, the length of the bike from my butt when I'm seated to the bottom of my heel when on the pedal at it's most southerly point is spot on. (Almost straight).

So I was happy with the compromise.

You could play around with your seat length. However, the handlebars on the 05 are (as far as I can work out) unadjustable. Don't know about the latest model. So raising the seat may merely put more straight on your upper body.

Can you not return it, if need be, if you kick up enough a of a fuss? 7 miles? That's just a test-run, really.

my carrera is a 58cm frame, but it's fine for me even though i'm only 5'7". the only downside is that i don't have a huge amount of seatpost for lights etc.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I don't think i'll be able to return it, as i've already used it and it is the size I asked halfords to get in. I reckon, i'll just have to live with it. should be ok for the mrs, next year, and i'll get another on the scheme. from pi$$ed off to really pi$$ed off, now!

Maz

Guru
I don't mean to rub salt into the wound, but...

Fancy putting it on ebay? A bike like that could fetch a decent price - set a reserve if you like...It'd go a long way towards funding a different one...

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I wish, under the scheme, the company I work for own the bike, until the end of the year, then you pay a nominal amount andd then it's yours, well mine!
I might try the halfords cycle2work helpline, they might change it But somehow I doubt it.

Chris James

Über Member
How is the 51cm measured? Is it 'virtual' seat tube or actual (as I see the Sirrus has a compact / semi sloping top tube).

If the latter then it may well be the right size.

I have a horizontal top tube road bike and am 5 ft 11.5 in, inside leg 33inches (ish - my trouser inside leg is 32") for comparison.

If you have 4 inches clearance for your nuts on a semi sloping frame then that sounds as though it might not be very small. I have about two inches nut clearance on my horizontal top tubed bike.

Slim

Über Member
You can adjust the stem on the Sirrus - at least on the comp model. I'm not sure if this applies to the whole range.

There is a shim where the stem attaches to the steerer. Loosen the bolts that attach the stem to the steerer. I think you may also need to loosen the hex bolt on top of the steerer and remove the cap (I've just had another look at mine and this seems to be needed). Once you've got access you can rotate the shim to give you another angle or turn it upside-down to give you another two choices of angle.

When you've picked an angle you want to try, just put the stem back over the shim and tighten up the bolts.

I think the stem originally comes set at the highest of the four possible angles. I lowered mine twice before I found the angle I was most comfortable with.

BTW - if you're nervous about over-tightening the bolts, Ritchey do a torque key that's preset to 4 or 5 Nm that does the job well.

...and like the others, I'd question the frame sizing also. I'm 6 foot and have the large size frame. Did Halfrauds advise you on the frame to go for?? If so, you should be able to take it back. Get hold of the customer services dept at head office.

HTH

Top Bottom