Got threatened, looking for best night cam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was attending a company party, about to leave when my wife stepped away. As I stood there waiting for my wife I hear from behind me "You want to step outside with me? I look around to find a short (5 foot 1 ), drunk, ginger claiming that I made a rude gesture at him.

I told him that I have no idea of what he is going on about. He rabbits on for a few and I eventually get out of him that he had a run in with a cyclist. I am the only bicycle commuter in a company of over 500 people. He stills wants to go then and there, I tell him to bugger off and go have another drink. He suggest he will get me next time and leaves.

I have no idea who this person is. I have seen him around but we do not work together.

I have been considering a helmet cam for a while but this last incident has just about pushed me to run to the shops. Question is , as I ride in mostly quite dark conditions, right around dawn and dusk (in the winter about 4:30 pm) I use a very bright head light which video camera works best?

400bhp

Guru
Am I reading this right. Someone at the Company you work for threatened you?

It's not a camera you want, you need to be speaking to your employers.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
how much are you willing to spend. A CCD based system will give you the best results.
The new ContourROAM is pretty good and auto adjusts to light levels as you cycle.

Night Train

Maker of Things

Yep, this should be the company's issue to ensure your safety, especially when you were threatened at work at a company event.

Someone will advise on the camera but speak to HR and hopefully, if they are a decent company, something should be done.

Unfortunately were I live there are not the most cycling friendly in the world.
  • had the city threaten to make the road illegal for bicycles
  • Police have called to question my decision to ride a bike
  • My bosses supervisor tried to ban me from riding to work on a bike
Helmet cam is my best insurance.

montyboy

I was attending a company party, about to leave when my wife stepped away. As I stood there waiting for my wife I hear from behind me "You want to step outside with me? I look around to find a short (5 foot 1 ), drunk, ginger claiming that I made a rude gesture at him.

I told him that I have no idea of what he is going on about. He rabbits on for a few and I eventually get out of him that he had a run in with a cyclist. I am the only bicycle commuter in a company of over 500 people. He stills wants to go then and there, I tell him to bugger off and go have another drink. He suggest he will get me next time and leaves.

I have no idea who this person is. I have seen him around but we do not work together.

I have been considering a helmet cam for a while but this last incident has just about pushed me to run to the shops. Question is , as I ride in mostly quite dark conditions, right around dawn and dusk (in the winter about 4:30 pm) I use a very bright head light which video camera works best?

Dont get a helmet cam.......just punch his lights out. :rolleyes:

YahudaMoon

Über Member

Wow. Sounds like you live somewhere still living in the dark ages lol.

Jezston

Über Member

Point 2 particularly. What the hell?

Shame as Canada is such a good place for people in my industry.

the snail

Guru

Agreed. The fact that you cycle has nothing to do with it, he got drunk and abused and threatened you. All the companies I've worked for would have treated this as a disciplinary matter, probably with a formal warning. I don't know how these things work in Canada though - sounds like an un-cyclist-friendly place :sad:

C

chillyuk

Does no one deal with things themselves anymore. He was pissed so you either take him outside and kick three buckets of s**t out of him or you just accept that his brain is alchohol befuddled and tell him to come back when he's sober.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

That doesn't matter. I'd report him for threttening you. It's a company event, drunk or not, he still has to behave. Speak to your managers. Deserves a good slap for being a drunken bum. Why is it folk get agressive after a drink - I just get loud and happy.

fossyant

Does no one deal with things themselves anymore. He was pissed so you either take him outside and kick three buckets of s**t out of him or you just accept that his brain is alchohol befuddled and tell him to come back when he's sober.

Company event, best dealing with the idiot via Human Resoursces - that will teach him.

fossyant

Remind me not to live in Canada if this is their reaction to cyclists, despite how 'nice' the place is.

At least my boss only says.. 'Isn't it about time you gave it up'. :whistle:

thnurg

Rebel without a clue
If you work at the same company it should not be too hard to locate him during the work day and have a quiet chat now that he's sober. If he's still unreasonable and still threatens you then you can get HR involved.

Top Bottom