Goyt valley-suitable for newbies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrsbaggins

I have a route I have seen . 16 miles around Goyt valley starting at derbyshire bridge car park. The book says hilly, rough tracks, bridleway , minor roads and is graded as moderate. Thing is I dont really know what moderate is. If anyone knows this route would it be suitable for someone of reasonable fitness? not having done any before really I am not sure how the gradings work. I know that sometimes weather can also play a part in this and surface type too but any help on this trail would be a help. Or failing that an easier route in the vicinity.

battered

Guru
If it's moderate then you should be OK. Leave plenty of time for a rest, have a look also for any bailing-out options, on most routes there are a couple of points where you cross a road and you can chop a corner off of you've had enough. Finally, enjoy yourself.:thumbsup:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If it's moderate then you should be OK. Leave plenty of time for a rest, have a look also for any bailing-out options, on most routes there are a couple of points where you cross a road and you can chop a corner off of you've had enough. Finally, enjoy yourself.:thumbsup:

Can you post the route on here. The road climbs steadily from the reservior to near the Cat and Fiddle - so long as you've got the gears you'll be OK. If it's a circular route, then there will be some off roading in there.

RedBike

The Derbyshire Bridge carpark is located near the Cat and Fiddle pub.

From this carpark there are two tracks. One runs downhill to the Fernilee res, the other is towards Buxton.

The path down towards the res isn't steep and it very well surfaced. The trouble is once you've reached the res' all the paths and roads back will be uphill. I've no idea which way you'll be heading but be warned some of the road around this location are very steep and Long hill, although not steep, is very aptly named.

The path off towards buxton starts off rocky and gets rougher as it goes. The last section where it joins Macclesfield Old road is only really passable on a MTB.

OP
OP
mrsbaggins

mrsbaggins

Can you post the route on here. The road climbs steadily from the reservior to near the Cat and Fiddle - so long as you've got the gears you'll be OK. If it's a circular route, then there will be some off roading in there.

Am hoping there is an attached map.

Its difficult to see maybe but basically it is a circular route starting from car park at bottom of pic , across moor, onto some roads then onto a roman road, over combs moor , a descent to whitehall open pursuits centre. then a climb up , back down to a village called Elnor.

more tracks to Taxal, then some bridleways, yet more tracks into forest then onto errwood dam.

thats a very brief summary as the book gives a couple of pages of directions. But it sounds like its the one that goes to Buxton from the other post which states its a bit rough!

Attachments

• goyt.doc
    370 KB · Views: 143

RedBike

Thats a classic MTB route.

There is a LOT of tarmac involved but its certainly not suitable for a road bike.

There's a few pics and the route on this site here:
http://shareroutes.c...uxton_loop.html

BTW, You can miss out the ford, (It will be deep after all this rain we've had) by taking the bridge that just a bit further down stream.

Definately best done Anti-clockwise so you're climbing on tarmac but going downhill on the rough stuff.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thats a classic MTB route.

There is a LOT of tarmac involved but its certainly not suitable for a road bike.

There's a few pics and the route on this site here:
http://shareroutes.c...uxton_loop.html

BTW, You can miss out the ford, (It will be deep after all this rain we've had) by taking the bridge that just a bit further down stream.

Definately best done Anti-clockwise so you're climbing on tarmac but going downhill on the rough stuff.

The roman road is a cracker. Did that from Buxton - 2 roadies on MTB's with a group of MTB'ers. Absolutely wasted them on the climb, and had to wait whilst they caught up and stopped for a fag, then we were left for dust going down the other side....

Top Bottom