Gravel!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Since the rain on Saturday my longer commute route through the lanes has been extra-interesting due to the large amount of gravel on the roads.

Tonight I was approaching a downhill bend and I thought- nice and slow- there'll be a big patch of gravel right on the bend-

Was too, and I nearly lost it. Was sure I was going down but somehow kept it up, then I was heading into the verge so I had to flick the front wheel and turn, still in the patch of gravel.

Stayed up for that one too.

Have to get onto the highways agency later.

lazyfatgit

South Lanarkshire Council have gone into a top dressing frenzy. It's impossible to avoid the stuff on the B roads around here at the moment.

North Lanarkshire seem to have decided to rise to the challenge. There's some roads been done this week too.

I'd forgotten how scary it is when you lose the front wheel until I did it a couple of weeks ago. Stayed on by luck rather than skill.

Followed 1/4 mile later by a sudden deflation event on the front too. Wee pyramid of glass right through the centre tread on nearly new marathons. First one in about 1600miles, so maybe i shouldn't complain.

Bodhbh

Guru
I've not come across it yet on the road, but some of the bridleways and whatnot underwent a fair bit of 'surface restructuring' over the weekend. What was hard-packed mud is now loose sand, gravel and stones. Wondered where it all came from at first. Bit hairy on the downhills when you realise you're on a gravel slide.

Was also a big hole (3' wide, 2' deep) down one of the 1-ways near the station just off Clarendon Road, where the road surface had collapsed in a sewer. Dunno if that was the rain or the heat. By the position a car would roll either side of it, but a bike would go right in it if not looking. It's been fixed best as I could see this morning tho.