grease

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R600

Über Member
Can anyone recomend a good grease for my hubs, as the grease i'm useing at the moment is working its way out within 100 miles, so looking for something that will last. this is for commuteing bike Cheers

I serviced my hubs for the first time, the front seems a good job but like what you are saying grease seems to be coming out of the rear hub already! it may be something I've done though (maybe used too much ?) that doesn't answer your question though but I'm using Weldtite lithium grease.

Zoiders

Plain old brown molybdenum axle grease like numbnuts, if I am feeling saucy and want a little more water resistance and a super slippery grease I will mix a little of some some very concentrated teflon forklift lube in with it (nicked from work)

White lithium grease will always disappoint.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
not much help, but there's a big pot of grease in my garage I've been using that must have come from work.....
I haven't worked for the last 22 years :ohmy: but it's still OK

Same here, I am just getting to the bottom of the pot after 30 years. The grease I use is used for railway locomotive axle bearings. It has never caused me or the bikes any problems. It has never leaked, and once adjusted, the wheel bearings have run smoothly for years without adjustment.

brockers

Can anyone recomend a good grease for my hubs, as the grease i'm useing at the moment is working its way out within 100 miles, so looking for something that will last. this is for commuteing bike Cheers

I can't see why that's the fault of the grease you're using. If you think about it, bearings are submitted to pretty large loads and can pass on large shear forces to the lubricants in use. Grease, being essentially oil suspended in soap will take on the viscosity of the oil under those shear forces, and will find a way out of any gaps in the hubs. I'm thinking more that you need to see if your hubs are worn in any way, or if there is any play in them before you start going down the exotic grease route.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Like brockers I doubt if it's the grease - if the weather has been damp then it is down to the seals letting in water.

I'm just back from a lbs and they tell me its a good thing (as per my post my hubs are doing the same), it shows you've packed it well.

OP
OP
R600

R600

Über Member
I can't see why that's the fault of the grease you're using. If you think about it, bearings are submitted to pretty large loads and can pass on large shear forces to the lubricants in use. Grease, being essentially oil suspended in soap will take on the viscosity of the oil under those shear forces, and will find a way out of any gaps in the hubs. I'm thinking more that you need to see if your hubs are worn in any way, or if there is any play in them before you start going down the exotic grease route.

i think you could be right and will have to look at the hub. thanks for the replies everyone.

tyred

Legendary Member
Sounds to me like too much grease. Wipe away the excess and it should be fine.

Virtually anything will do. I have even used Vaseline without problems.

Top Bottom