England : Greater Manchester Greater Manchester Cycle 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lecabnoir

I can't believe I've signed up for my first sportive - http://www.greatcycle.org/ - aarrgghhh.

I'm no spring chicken so this is going to be a real challenge. The distance of 52 miles is no problem, I just hope I can keep up. It says you have to be able to do 18mph on the flat which I can do easily....it's just hills that kill me off. Luckily each lap is 13 miles and starts at 64 metres of height, drops to 25 and goes back up to 64 so fingers crossed I should be ok.

Any hints and tips greatly appreciated. :-)

Great Manchester Cycle said:
Helmet

– obviously an essential piece of your equipment and compulsory for the Great Manchester Cycle

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
I've signed up as well

Gentle 13 miler for me :blush:

Although I have emailed them and asked if I can go round twice,once in the morning and once in the afternoon so I can have a rest in betwenn :tongue:

It's for charity as well and and I also bought a Cycling Jersey to commemorate it for only £15.00

OP
OP
lecabnoir

lecabnoir

Isn't it 13 mile a lap? If you go round twice you'll have done 26 miles. :tongue:

I ordered the t-shirt too, at least I'll look the part on the day, even if I come in last. :-)

I was looking at this and fancying the 52 miler, but the average worries me a touch too. What happens if you can't maintain 18mph? Although I'm sure it would be fine as it is predominantly flat. If they take PayPal I might just book it this afternoon, if they don't it'll have to wait :thumbsup:

OP
OP
lecabnoir

lecabnoir

The average worried me too but as you say it's pretty flat so should be do-able. Plus, if you look at the timings you're actually allowed 3hrs 15 mins. With no stops that works out at 16mph.

Either way, for a tenner I'm happy to come last just for the experience. :tongue:

They don't take PayPal though but I get the impression there's no limit on how many can enter.

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Isn't it 13 mile a lap? If you go round twice you'll have done 26 miles. :tongue:

I ordered the t-shirt too, at least I'll look the part on the day, even if I come in last. :-)

It is a 13 mile lap but you can only register for 13,26 or 52 miles with various start times

I think the 52 mile starts first,then a 13,then the 26, then another group of 13 milers set off in the afternoon

Once you have completed the one you have registered for thats it, but I asked them if I could be allowed to do a 13 mile in the morning, then join the 13 mile group in the afternoon,not had a reply yet though.

I just dont have the confidence to do the 26 miles in one go.....

Or you can translate that into "not wanting to face the emabarrassment of being dragged off the course for being to slow" :laugh:

OP
OP
lecabnoir

lecabnoir

Don't worry, I might get dragged off too. :tongue:

The 52 miler starts at 8.00am

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I am tempted to do the 52 as it would be totally different from the normal hilly charity sportives I tend to do. Fairly comfortable with the speed particularly with large groups of riders on a flatish course.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I've booked to do the 26 miles since I didn't want to be in amongst all the would-be racers trying to "win".
The attraction of the ride, for me at least, is the chance to cycle over the Mancunian Way*. For £10, why not ?
I'm planning on doing the 1st lap quickly so that I can dawdle a bit on the 2nd lap and look at the city's sky-line from a different perspective.

*Shame they didn't rebuild the fly-over at the end of Deansgate.

Top Bottom