Green boxes at junctions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jake

The green boxes at junctions with little white bycles on are for cyclists only? or for motorbikes too? just that they always seem to be full of M-bikes and we cant get into them.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
They are supposed to be for cyclists, but in reality just about anyone goes in them

I just filter on the outside and sit in front of everyone, even if this means sitting in front of the box...

robz400

I think they are for cycles only. However I think it would make sense to allow m/bikes to use them as well, after all if they can safely get to the front of a que, once the lights change they'll just clear off be in nobodys way. Safer too....

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

yeah thats what i thought. last night about 5 bikes had to mingle with the traffic quite far back while these "things" hog the box. It's prob not worth saying anything to them though. Feel like printing out parts of the highway code, enlarging them, and sticking them on my back lol

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
There is one on Romford Road near WHFC that is about 1 1/2 times the size of normal ones and says "(cycle symbol) and M/C's"
I might still have it on video

Origamist

Legendary Member
From the London Assembly 15th Oct

*****Enforcement of Advance Stop Lines*

***Question No: 2227 / 2008*

John Biggs

Has the Share the Road campaign reduced the need to enforce Advance Stop
Lines to make junctions safer for cyclists? Can you please provide me
with TOCU figures to show the number of enforcements of this traffic
offence for 2007 and 2008?

***Answer from the Mayor:*

A reduction in the need to enforce Advance Stop Lines has not been a
specific objective of Share the Road campaigns or other activities.

The Transport Operational Command Unit (TOUC) ran a 'Share the Road'
enforcement operation specifically targeting Advanced Stop Lines (ASL)
in September 2006, where 20 fixed penalty notices were issued to drivers
who infringed the ASL.

A number of recent operations that tackle infringement of ASLs have been
run by local borough police (Safer Neighbourhood Teams) and the TOCU
continues to enforce this issue where appropriate. As the infringement
of an ASL results in the standard automatic traffic signal offence of
‘proceeding beyond the stop line’, separate figures cannot be provided
for ASL offences.

TfL and the Metropolitan Police continue to focus on cycling issues. An
education and enforcement operation is currently being planned by the
Police, which is dedicated to tackling several cycling-related issues,
including infringement of advanced stop lines. It is expected to be run
this year.

TfL also undertook a trial of an “awareness raising caution”, given to
drivers and motorcyclists who crossed the stop line and encroached on
the cyclists’ advance stop box. As a result of this, and because
improvements in camera technology make “automatic” detection feasible,
TfL is jointly sponsoring the London Local Authorities and Transport for
London (No 2) Bill, which will make it easier to make signalised
junctions safer for cyclists.

ianrauk said:
The one's I see on my commute seem to be for the exclusive use of cars......
I don't find cars too bad at abusing ASL's in general, sometimes they get caught out by the lights and sit in them. Black Cabs on the other hand casually drift up to them and in, so they've not got that excuse.

Back to the OP, MC in ASL's don't seem to too bad but I tend not to use them. However I arrived at one on a strangelly empty road yesterday and one was sitting there in the primary so I had to sit in the secondary just before the lights were about to change to green he shoots off leaving a nice empty gap that a car driver could've accelerated into.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

On the way in just now, there were 3 differnt boxes with MB's in, even though the sign is clearly for cycles only. However a very nice considerate Mb rider who was waiting in the cycle lane saw me and moved out the way. How nice wsa that. Yet, this was counteracted by a cyclist going into the back of me while i waited at a set of different lights! apart from that, a very nice ride in, even found a safer route around the imax.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm quite happy to share the ASL with motorbikers, even if they shouldn't technically be there. They get far more benefit from them than we do anyway, with their superior acceleration.

It's often much safer to wait in the middle of the lane, behind the first or second vehicle in the queue. Little or no conflict going across the junction that way.

jimboalee

Personally, I don't see the point of ASLs. At a line of stopped vehicles, what cyclist in their right mind would plonk themselves directly in front of the forward most car. That, IMHO, is asking for abuse and a nudge.
The body language of a cyclist who rides up the kerbside and then moves to the center of the ASL box, right in front of the traffic, is far from being perceived as friendly.
In an argument between a car and a cyclist, the motorist might get a fine or a ban, but the cyclist gets a wheelchair.
As for motor bikes in the ASL box, that's called 'safety in numbers'.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

i think its a bit different in london. it makes drivers think a bit more if they see abig green box with a hurd of cyclists.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Asking for abuse and a nudge? Not even from a 'kin knuckle dragging idiot who doesn't deserve a driving license. There's absolutely no excuse for that attitude or approach from any road user.

Top Bottom