Green Electricity...erm....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

U

User482

mjones said:
This year, like last year, and the one before, I will most likely take no flights at all.

Edit-sorry, just spotted you were responding to hgf not me.

Actually, I think it is quite reasonable to keep this discussion focused on domestic energy use; flying or not doesn't affect it.

Good for you. :smile:

I'm happy to keep with domestic energy, but I wanted to highlight that personal travel arrangements have a far bigger effect on CO2 than your choice of dishwasher. As the organic yoghurt buying, 4x4 owning clases would do well to remember!

GaryA

Subversive Sage
User482 said:
Good for you. :rolleyes:

I'm happy to keep with domestic energy, but I wanted to highlight that personal travel arrangements have a far bigger effect on CO2 than your choice of dishwasher. As the organic yoghurt buying, 4x4 owning clases would do well to remember!

When you have a go on any of those carbon footprint calculation sites it is plain to see that even one long haul flight a year would still take you above the average footprint figure even if you spent the rest of the year huddled in a cold cave doing nothing much more than scratchng your backside

Ahhhh I'm feeling sanctimonious now...... I have flown 6 times in my life, never outside Europe, last time to jersey 3 yrs ago and I dont intend to fly again......except maybe in a glider, which was one of those 6 flights I mentioned ;)

U

User482

Gary Askwith said:
I almost chocked when i seen this
An MP putting his money where his mouth is ;)

Is this kosher?

I've seen this before and believe it is kosher. That said, it's not terribly useful as a model for the vast majority who only have a tiny fraction of the money this would have cost to build.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
User482 said:
The figures just aren't that good - makes a measurable difference for sure, but is expensive for what it is, and not a patch on proper external or internal insulation.

i'd agree that its not the same as proper insulation, but it'll only take 10mm out of your rooms as opposed to 60-112mm and it's a recommended product of the energy savings trust, they don't recommend things not worth doing, do they?

i must confess i don't know the cost, but have emailed for a sample and price list as it's of interest to me as an addition layer...i doubt they'll arrive until next week though, perhaps you could you share with us the price in the meantime?

Danny

Legendary Member
hubgearfreak said:
;)

now for the things you can do to make a difference

have you got 8-10 inches of loft insulation?

I always thought the recommended amount was 250mm-300mm (about 2.5"). Does increasing this to 8"-10" really make a significant difference?

Danny

Legendary Member
User482 said:
Originally Posted by Gary Askwith View Post
I almost chocked when i seen this
An MP putting his money where his mouth is

Is this kosher?

I've seen this before and believe it is kosher. That said, it's not terribly useful as a model for the vast majority who only have a tiny fraction of the money this would have cost to build.

Alan Simpson is pretty sound in my experience.

Agree it is not currently a practical solution for the majority. But again it demonstrates what is possible, and if this was done on a much bigger scales it costs would come down.

Also there is an argument which says that they money that is going to be invested in new nuclear power would be better spent on energy saving like this if you quickly want to bring down CO2 emissions.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Dannyg said:
Also there is an argument which says that they money that is going to be invested in new nuclear power would be better spent on energy saving like this if you quickly want to bring down CO2 emissions.

yep, i've been rattling away at that very cause for pages and pages now.;)

but £4000 for a boiler in one house would be better spent on insulating the lofts of ten homes

Top Bottom