green tea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
It tastes nicer if you do not use boiling water. Let the kettle stand for a minute or so after it has boiled. The water for some green teas should only be about 60 degrees.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Experitment a bit. Boiling water usually makes green tea taste bitter, but if the water is too cold it tastes like cow pee (so I'm told). If you have a half decent tea shop, ask them for advice. Tea's a serious business.

With many green teas it's best to discard the first brew. Allow the second to stand for only a few seconds before pouring and then allow a little longer for each successive brewing until by the dozenth time it's standing for a couple of minutes. The character of the tea will change quite a bit from first to last cup - it tends to get mellower and sweeter.

yorkshiregoth said:
This person:

http://www.cowurine.com/

Evens cures Aids. just imagine all the billions wasted on drugs research.

Never mind all that ... how did you discover that site?:wacko:

Fiona N

Veteran
benborp said:
With many green teas it's best to discard the first brew. Allow the second to stand for only a few seconds before pouring and then allow a little longer for each successive brewing until by the dozenth time it's standing for a couple of minutes. The character of the tea will change quite a bit from first to last cup - it tends to get mellower and sweeter.

Ignore this if you have decent Japanese green tea - it only applies to semi-fermented, large leaf, Chinese stuff like Gunpowder and so on, which takes an age to rehydrate.

With nice green tea, the advice for below boiling water is good and you can also add cold water to the dry tea before pouring on boiling water or add boiling water to the cup, swish around briefly, then add to tea pot (assuming you're using a teapot) - killing two birds with one stone, as it were, by heating the cups and cooling the water.

Best regards from a teahouse in Tokyo :blush:

longers

Legendary Member
This might be where I've being going wrong. I've been making green tea at work and it's tasted pretty foul. I'll give it another go with cooler hot water.

simonali

Guru
I use Clipper teabags and use boiling water to make it. Dunno if it would taste better with cooler water, but who cares, I like it anyhow!

Top Bottom