Greetings!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

forwater

My name is Aaron and I'm from Atlanta, GA in the US. My car broke down in February and I was forced to get rid of it due to lack of funds for towing and repair. My birthday was on March 13th (I turned 21), and, trying to be clever, I asked for a bicycle!

I got one, needless to say. It's a hand-me-down from my folks which hasn't been used too much. From what I understand, it's a bottom-of-the-line beast. (That's what I've named it- Beast.) Still, I'm pleased with my Huffy Alumina if only for the fact that it's not rusted, not falling apart, and, despite its age, seems to be in great shape. It seems reasonably sturdy, too. Plus plus and plus again!

Speaking of great shape, that's one thing that I'm *not* in! I'm hoping that picking up bicycling, aside from just being a smart economic decision, will also be profitable to my health.

I've got tons of bike-related questions, as I'm still learning how best to care for it and how most safely to ride. I hope you'll be able to help me out- and I hope in the long run I'll be of some use to the community as well! Nice to meet all of you, and thanks for letting me come play in the sandbox.

196942_10150462412675437_695000436_17837439_6402944_n.jpg

DTD

Veteran
Hello and welcome.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Welcome from England , we do not all drink tea with the queen or wear bowler hats :biggrin:

I hope you enjoy cycling as much as we do, i find it helps relax after a stressful day at work.

Are you are using that bike just for cycling to work on the road? if you do not go off road i would suggest getting some slicker tyres as they will make it a lt easier .

OP
OP
F

forwater

I'm unemployed at the moment (which is rather fortunate, considering that if I would have had my old job as a pizza delivery driver when the car broke, I would have been unable to continue anyway...), so I'm mostly going to be using this bike to go grocery shopping and to enable me to volunteer at the park in my sub-city. I do hope to find a job within biking distance, of course, and am looking- but for the moment I've got nothing.

Your suggestion with the tires was helpful, thanks. I'm a bit hesitant to put slicker tires on it, though, because I've already got v-brakes on the bike- and I've heard those are dangerous when it rains. If I need to ride in the rain, I'd like at least to be able to stay upright and get tire traction! I could stop with my feet, I guess...

Do you have any suggestions on how I could make the v-brakes rain-safe?

Why don't all British people wear bowler hats and sip tea? I totally would if it were *my* country's 'thing'. :tongue:

Re: your brakes 4H2O ( :smile: ) a lot of people find improved performance with Kool Stop products. I only have road bike experience but the 'salmon' flavour blocks are far superior in poor/wet conditions. I also use the dual compound on one of my bikes and they have lasted well. Here is a sample page from Harris Cyclery, home of 'that man' - the reference point for a lot of stuff, Sheldon Brown. Check out the site generally - it will broaden your outlook on cycling in a fun way!

cyberknight

Your suggestion with the tires was helpful, thanks. I'm a bit hesitant to put slicker tires on it, though, because I've already got v-brakes on the bike- and I've heard those are dangerous when it rains. If I need to ride in the rain, I'd like at least to be able to stay upright and get tire traction! I could stop with my feet, I guess...
:tongue:

Slicker tyres are actually better as you have more rubber in contact with the ground, its an old misconception that knobblies give you more grip on the road,unless your riding on gravel or off road your better off with slicks in general.Knobblies on the road are only really needed for snow.

Bu this is all speculation , if you are unemployed ( :angry: hope you get a job soon) then if the tyres are in good condition then they will get you to your destination then splashing cash out for a new set is false economy .

With correctly set up v brakes with good pads i found my hybrid i ran not dangerous but you have to make allowances for stopping distance, like you would in a car .

cyberknight

Imagines the queen coming out of her corner to give you some lumps...

:boxing:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Hello. I too am new here so I imagine I will see you around the place from time to time. I like your bargain bike. I very much stick to the lower price end of cycling so I'm impressed that you got that as an old hand-me-down.

Top Bottom