Greta Thunberg. Saviour of the planet, or what?

dutchguylivingintheuk

You seem to be howling at the moon: an almost incomprehensible unstructured rant entirely lacking facts or verifiable examples.

The reality is that climate denial is given publicity massively beyond its scientific credibility - your claims are 180 degrees wrong.
if i prove the opposite your claim it's not true anyway as i have done many times before. Which by the way i have provided in most things i write about already but i understand it is difficult to read yourself into the matters, it much easier to claim somebody doesn't know right?
Your second sentence has nothing to do with anything i wrote, nothing at all.

dutchguylivingintheuk

Well there are a few salient points amongst the incoherence.

Certain sections of the biomass 'industry' have indeed been coopted unhelpfully, and not undertaken in the spirit in which they were intended.
This needs sorting.
Solar and energy windmills are going in the same direction, the power they supply isn't greats as we have far from the most ideal conditions here, we would be better of placing them somewhere in the desert and placing big underground cables, or Nuclear power instead, but somehow nuclear always is the devil. Although we could make cars what last 30 years on their energy pack without any power loss if we use nuclear waste batteries.
Plus yes of course we do need to reduce our energy usage, overall, both with new tech, but also boring old using less, and being less wasteful
That's besides the points that the calculation based models instead of real measurements are just wrong, and currently most climate measurements are made on the basis of those ''behind a desk'' calculations instead of real measurements. As a farmer i would think you would agree with me me that real measurements are preferred above calculations.

There are also many opportunities to naturally sequester more carbon.
Not just through planting and maintaining trees well, but also managing our soils, and seabed well too.

Anthropogenic climate change is pretty much unarguably 'proven' although there will always be a few refuseniks.
As I've said before I'm always surprised how few 'scientific' deniers have been bought and paid for by the oil industry.

I think they realise the game is up.
Since the uk is out of the eu now that will be much easier without stupid eu laws that limit how soil is maintained, used and so on.

As i live close to Heathrow i can only applaud that decision, currently traffic is jammed there almost 24/7 so adding a extra runway never seemed like a great solution to me. There also planning to expand nearby Luton Airport bit of the same, those airports are run like companies and on itself there's nothing wrong with that but if they can't handle further growth somebody has to slam on the brakes at some point. For Heathrow it seems that point has now been reached.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Solar and energy windmills are going in the same direction, the power they supply isn't greats as we have far from the most ideal conditions here, we would be better of placing them somewhere in the desert and placing big underground cables, or Nuclear power instead, but somehow nuclear always is the devil. Although we could make cars what last 30 years on their energy pack without any power loss if we use nuclear waste batteries.

That's besides the points that the calculation based models instead of real measurements are just wrong, and currently most climate measurements are made on the basis of those ''behind a desk'' calculations instead of real measurements. As a farmer i would think you would agree with me me that real measurements are preferred above calculations.

Since the uk is out of the eu now that will be much easier without stupid eu laws that limit how soil is maintained, used and so on.

As i live close to Heathrow i can only applaud that decision, currently traffic is jammed there almost 24/7 so adding a extra runway never seemed like a great solution to me. There also planning to expand nearby Luton Airport bit of the same, those airports are run like companies and on itself there's nothing wrong with that but if they can't handle further growth somebody has to slam on the brakes at some point. For Heathrow it seems that point has now been reached.
I'm perfectly happy with behind a desk calculations thanks, if they are done by reputable well informed people, in the case of climate science, I prefer climate scientists to do it.

Of course I do rough in the field, calculations, and obsevations, but would only use them for myself, and my own operation, I wouldn't expect anyone else to base their decisions on those.

If I want hard data, I'll go for good peer reviewed science, and understand its provenance.

It's a habit I acquired from having been brought up by a professor of earth sciences.. I Just can't seem to shake it.

Of course human nature is to try to avoid looking at uncomfortable realities, especially if we're expected to do something about it, or even make a few sacrifices for the good of the whole, and for the long term.

Time is running out though.
We should have been acting on the science decades ago.

But greed, and wilful ignorance got in the way of that.

The EU didn't ever try to stop me or anyone else from sequestering carbon in our soils.

Market forces did perhaps, and they continue unabated, but the EU is focusing very closely on soil health, and conservation, alongside food production, right now.

Us organic lot are also campaigning hard for it to have prominence in the upcoming UK Agriculture bill.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Charabanc trips and everything.

Shades of the People's Vote march.

And we know what happened to that.
You do realise the Friday school strikes have been going on for many months?

This is just one that's gaining publicity because of a well known attendee.

No?

Well that doesn't surprise me really.

Some people care about things, others don't, that's the way of the world.

If I was forty years younger I'd probably be there too - I went to school in Bristol myself
And was made aware even then of these issues.

Of course its mostly been ignored in the pursuit of a quick buck and convenience.

If we'd done something back then, these kids wouldn't be fearful for their futures now.

Or if they had something else to protest, they'd be able to access it by affordable, sustainable transport.

Sadly that's not the case.

But hey why not have a cheap pop at some young people who give a shoot about this stuff??

Last edited by a moderator:

Brompton Bruce

Coffeeeeeeeee pleeeeease
I, for one, am really pleased Greta has a high profile and is visiting Bristol today. If this helps to raise awareness of the impending disaster that is climate change, then it's got to be a good thing. I would like to contrast this with the total lack of presence shown by Boris in the flood areas. He should be out there showing support for those people whose lives have been devastated by the rains, flooding and storms. He's the one who should be copping flak today.

Levo-Lon

Guru
You do realise the Friday school strikes have been going on for many months?

This is just one that's gaining publicity because of a well known attendee.

No?

Well that doesn't surprise me really.

Some people care about things, others don't, that's the way of the world.

If I was forty years younger I'd probably be there too - I went to school in Bristol myself
And was made aware even then of these issues.

Of course its mostly been ignored in the pursuit of a quick buck and convenience.

If we'd done something back then, these kids wouldn't be fearful for their futures now.

Or if they had something else to protest, they'd be able to access it by affordable, sustainable transport.

Sadly that's not the case.

But hey why not have a cheap pop at some young people who give a shoot about this stuff??

School strike, just think about that..

Randomnerd

Formerly known as Woodenspoons
Here is some background to Greta

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/23/great-thunberg-malena-ernman-our-house-is-on-fire-memoir-extract?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

IMHO she is a potential key figure in helping us all to address the climate crisis.

My own experience - being out in nature for my work in all seasons for the past thirty years in woodland, moor and dale - tells me that changes are happening. Bird species numbers in serious decline due to farm intensification; increased violent weather; flooding and water logging of arable land; potential to grow previously inappropriate tree species due to warmer winters.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Here is some background to Greta

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/23/great-thunberg-malena-ernman-our-house-is-on-fire-memoir-extract?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

IMHO she is a potential key figure in helping us all to address the climate crisis.

My own experience - being out in nature for my work in all seasons for the past thirty years in woodland, moor and dale - tells me that changes are happening. Bird species numbers in serious decline due to farm intensification; increased violent weather; flooding and water logging of arable land; potential to grow previously inappropriate tree species due to warmer winters.

So what do you think needs to become extinct on Earth to save the planet..

Top Bottom