Grit in hub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PastyPower

Hi

Apologies if this is covered else where.

Got a new bike recently and had to cycle home through torrential rain. Anyway I also had to coast through a flooded street:wacko: and this was at least upto the derailluer so drenched me and the bike. I got home cleaned the bike up a bit but noticed when spinning the back wheel what should have been the purring of a new groupset was replaced by well a gritty sound:wacko:. Basically i think i have grit/dirt in the hub or something. How? Surely this shouldn't be possible. Was it loose do you think? Bike shop need to look at it or can I flush the grit with a hose?

Thanks

Matt

PpPete

Legendary Member
Wouldn't have thought it would be grit in the hub.....
Maybe in the freewheel / freehub?

Don't pressure hose it - you risk washing away any lubricant, and leave any grit.

Take it apart, wipe off any obvious dirt with oily rag, and spin wheel in your hands (holding axles). Any noise? Do the same holding the freehub.

You should be able to narrow down the source of the noise.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Don't think I would spray a hose anywhere near the hub / freehub, personally. If you can get to the LBS easily, I would pop in and ask them to take a look.

Cheers,
SD

OP
OP
P

PastyPower

Ok cheers guys, i dont have the tools at the moment for dismantling. I just cant understand how I could have anything other than grease and ballbearings floating around after 2 weeks. I'll take the wheel off and have a closer look, failing a wipe down I'll run by the LBS and see what they have to say. I'll pick a few tools up too

Mr Pig

PastyPower said:
I just cant understand how I could have anything other than grease and ballbearings floating around

Easy. You ride the bike through a huge filthy puddles! ;0)

Some hubs aren't very well sealed and even those that are will let water in if you submerge them. Water in the hub will emulsify the grease and grit and dirt in there will wear things out.

Best to strip and re-lube the hubs. It's not that hard.

Mr Pig

fossyant said:
Also plump for waterproof grease as well.

Yes, but even that is only waterproof up to a point. Eventually it'll give up and need replacing. If you get the bike wet often you should get into the habit of checking the hubs very regularly.

on the road

Über Member
It might not be grit, the water could have wash the grease out of the hub, so what you will hear is the ball bearings scraping on the inside of the hub.

OP
OP
P

PastyPower

:wacko:mini update:wacko:

Purchased a chain whip last week and removed cassette and surrounding bits but it appears I cannot dismantle the freehub or at least I cannot see how it could be dismantled. Its a Joytech F192SB Alloy (Bianchi own?), now if it cannot be tampered with or dismantled how do i get inside it to clean and apply what sounds like a lack of grease around the bearings:wacko: I've tried oil. Its due for its 1st FOC check up at Evans soon. Shall i put it to them that this is perhaps something they (im aware they didn't make the wheels) should be looking at. The noise is starting to get on my nerves now and sounds like a 10 year old bike that hadn't been looked after properly rather than a 5 week old shiney bike should.

Thanks

Matt

OP
OP
P

PastyPower

Yes. After taking off the cassette, axel etc there didn't appear to be anyway of checking the inside of the hub. According to sheldon some hubs are made this way as they dont need messing with.

OP
OP
P

PastyPower

Dodgy freehub update:blush:. Having popped into my LBS and told it was a job I could do at home I proceeded to buy chain whip, cassette tool and grease etc. Now the LBS owner sold Bianchi's so probably knew the freehub was sealed and that I wouldn't be able to get into it to apply the grease but sold it me anyway!! ( I needed all the tackle but was a little miffed to find out after dismantling everything!!) So.... took it back to Evans for its 1st FOC MOT. They tell me its 99% warranty and they will speak with Bianchi. Have to say they did a good job on the bike tightening and readjusting, even trued my back wheel. Anyway, turns out Bianchi are closed down for a month. Sigh. So i'm stuck with a dodgy sounding freehub. I explained to Evans im doing about 100 miles a week so if I have to wait a month Im holding you responsible for any further damage done (this bit reasonable? ) Anyway, they're getting back to me. Just thought i'd update you:smile:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
PastyPower said:
I explained to Evans im doing about 100 miles a week so if I have to wait a month Im holding you responsible for any further damage done (this bit reasonable? )

Sounds reasonable to me. Good on them for dealing with it under warranty.

Top Bottom