Growing your own

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Always have tried to grow what I could. So did my parents. Nothing to do with hard times. I just like doing it, the veg tastes better and you don't have to buy so much supermarket crap. I will eventually have my acre of ground with chickens or ducks and fruit trees too...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
In my flat-dwelling days I had growbags on the balcony. It was bliss. I used to ply The Babe with my tomatoes, and she was mightily impressed, both by their size and their ripeness - firm to the touch, but yielding and juicy in the mouth. She says she married me for my veg and my home baking skills.

MePower

Had one for 2 years now, love it, sometimes go just to read, sometimes to actually work! Havnt needed to buy veg at all, and it tastes sooo much better. Get one (if you dont mind a waiting list)

theclaud

Openly Marxist
dellzeqq said:
It was bliss. I used to ply The Babe with my tomatoes, and she was mightily impressed, both by their size and their ripeness - firm to the touch, but yielding and juicy in the mouth.

Looks like the forum needs an "Erotica" section. This kind of thing is going to be far too exciting for the Cafe.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
MePower said:
Had one for 2 years now, love it, sometimes go just to read, sometimes to actually work! Havnt needed to buy veg at all, and it tastes sooo much better. Get one (if you dont mind a waiting list)

It's so neat. I'm envious. There's no way I'm posting a picture of my wobbly, scruffy allotment now.

MePower

It was all done using reclaimed joists from a fruit and veg shop they were knocking down in Darlington, irony or what? Thanks for the compliment, if i hadnt been given most of the materials, it would be a bare patch of mud. My f in law helps out a lot as well. Raised beds are the way to go, no digging:biggrin:
Go on theclaud, post some pics!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
MePower said:

That looks far too tidy and I agree the taste of the veg is so much better. Did 6 rows of peas for the first time last year on ours and they were excellent so we are doing 12 rows this year :biggrin:

tyred

Legendary Member
And I thought this was a thread about marijuana.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
MePower said:
. Raised beds are the way to go, no digging:biggrin:

Not if the father in law buys you one of these for Christmas (well about 3 Christmas's actually)

FE500.gif
http://www.mowwithus.com/honda_fe500.html

Chris James

Über Member
We have three raised beds in the graden (2.5 x 1.25m), which I rotate as roots, brassicas and others (mostly runner and french beans).

We also have a patch around the back of the garage with two blackcurrant bushes, one redcurrant and a load of autumn fruiting raspberries.

It is pretty exposed where I live, 200m above sea level and with constant winds so some things are more successful than others. But garlic, parsnips, lettuce, cabbages, brussell sprouts seem to work well. Last year wasn't a very good year for my beans, but normally they are a great success. Carrots tend to get affected by carrot root fly, despite using resitant varieties and avoiding thinning. But I still get a decent crop.

I have grown potatoes in pots, but not sure I will bother again.

OP
OP
K

Krypton

How did this end up here - I didn't post it here - strange.

Good replies though. Especially like the photos. ;)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Krypton said:
How did this end up here - I didn't post it here - strange.

Good replies though. Especially like the photos. ;)

the moderators here tend to move threads to other areas of the forum if they think they will get more replys/they are more appropriate in a new section.

I've got a 5m square patch of garden behind the garage that I'm putting some raised beds on in the coming months. I know bugger all about growing veg (I don't get on with planted things they tend to die on me) but I'm going to see what happens. What are the easiest things to grow?

Top Bottom