Grown up gears advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve H

Large Member
I've recently purchased a roadbike and I'm loving it. However, it has a triple chainset and I'm just a bit confused on part of the gear functionality. On my old mtb it was pretty clear. The shifter on the left had side adjusted the chainring and the shifter had a setting for 1, 2 and 3 relating to the big, middle and granny chainrings.

On my new roadbike it is similar, but the shifter allows for half shifts - i.e. the front dérailleur allows you to have a 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3 selection. I'm a bit confused on why you would want to use 1.5 and 2.5? Does it have any relation to where the rear dérailleur is positioned? I.e. to help not cross the chain? I'm guessing the 1.5 is really about using the middle chain ring and the bigger cassette gears and 2 is using the middle chain ring and the smaller cassette gears. Similarly with 2.5 and 3 in relation to the big ring?

Is this making any sense whatsoever????

potsy

Rambler
It just gives you a bit of leeway to stop the chain rubbing on the front mech when the chainline is not straight.
Useful once you get used to it.
My difficulty with it was when changing up to the large chainring I would try to go straight from 2 to 3,now I go 2.5 then 3 much smoother now.

e-rider

crappy member
trim is the term. and as said, it helps to prevent the chain from rubbing when using certain gears on the cassette. Simple.

Top Bottom