Grubber Assist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The motor is all but silent and the activation button can be buried under bar tape, so the installation is very stealthy.

Were you riding in a group with some ambient noise, other riders may not notice you have a motor.

But it will be obvious during even a cursory examination of the bike at rest.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It is what it is - easy enough to spot if you examine the bike.

The extra weight alone will tell you something is amiss.

The battery must be hard wired to the motor, and the cable and connectors cannot be fully hidden.

There will also be a small, but easily visible, tell tale lump of the activation button under the bar tape.

Perhaps the battery is swallowed, and the terminals exit via the appropriate "port"

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Some talk of burying the battery in one of the tubes - down or seat.

That would mean no external cables, but there would have to be a charging port somewhere.

Then there's still the weight and the activation button.

A torch shone down the seat tube would reveal the motor, as would even minor dismantling of the bottom bracket.

A UCI blazer would have to be spectacularly incompetent to examine a Gruber bike and miss it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Some talk of burying the battery in one of the tubes - down or seat.

That would mean no external cables, but there would have to be a charging port somewhere.

Then there's still the weight and the activation button.

A torch shone down the seat tube would reveal the motor, as would even minor dismantling of the bottom bracket.

A UCI blazer would have to be spectacularly incompetent to examine a Gruber bike and miss it.

UCI bikes are artificially made heavy to meet the minimum weight limit, so a smaller less powerful version could easily be fitted. An activation button could easily be concealed too, nevermind being remotely operated. Charging ports don't need to be easily accessible as you have team mechanics fettling the bikes every night.

I agree that a strip down by the UCI would obviously bring all this to light. However, how many times have they actually done this.

Personally, I don't think it is happening, but it is very possible.that it has happened in the past. Cookson seems to know it has, but cannot prove anything.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
UCI bikes are artificially made heavy to meet the minimum weight limit, so a smaller less powerful version could easily be fitted.

Fair point about the weight.

The Gruber system adds best part of two kilos, depending on the capacity of the battery.

Could a bike be made to weigh 5kg, so when Grubered it would meet the UCI limit?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Fair point about the weight.

The Gruber system adds best part of two kilos, depending on the capacity of the battery.

Could a bike be made to weigh 5kg, so when Grubered it would meet the UCI limit?

I guess in racing it is more about marginal gains, so a 1.8kg system would not be needed as you could use a substantially smaller battery which I would assume makes up most of the weight. Plus a team could afford to use single use batteries making it even lighter. Rather than have a system pump out 150 or 200W for an hour, I would see a 100W system used for a few minutes on a particular climb or on a breakaway.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I guess in racing it is more about marginal gains, so a 1.8kg system would not be needed as you could use a substantially smaller battery which I would assume makes up most of the weight. Plus a team could afford to use single use batteries making it even lighter. Rather than have a system pump out 150 or 200W for an hour, I would see a 100W system used for a few minutes on a particular climb or on a breakaway.

That would be a good approach if you solely wanted to cheat the pro peloton.

I hope the French don't hear about it - if they do Froomey will be drowned in urine later today.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Not sure if you are serious or not but the weight and momentum of the bike is moving the pedal causing the rear wheel to spin

Top Bottom