gtech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have inherited a gtech mountain bike with single speed belt drive. This bike is unused and I know nothing about it and it is currently 200 miles from where I live. I hope to pick it up in a couple of weeks but as I said I know nothing about it. Anyone got one of these? Does anyone know anything about them?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
@keithmac has one. He seems to like it from what i have heard.

keithmac

Guru
They aren't really a mountain bike (if its the single speed carbon drive version).

I use mine for commuting, done about 1500 miles on it now.

Electric assist up to around 13mph then all legs from there.

I bought mine because it requires zero maintenance and after a hard day at work I can enjoy the ride home!.

Not everyone's cup of tea but I love mine.

Get around 40 miles to a charge.

20170728_191014.jpg

johnnyb47

Guru
Are those the ones advertised on tv at the moment. It looks like a very nice bike buddy. Nice clean looking bike that looks like it will survive the test of time.

keithmac

Guru
Treated it to a set of brake pads at 1000 miles but that's about it, goes through all weathers with no complaints.

Gates Carbon Drive is excellent.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The bike looks very like the pic by keithmac but is still chained up to some steel garden furniture in a shed at a secret location. Hope the keys I have work when I go to collect it.

keithmac

Guru
Have you got the charger for the battery?.

Not a bad inheritance, mine cost £1000 (and worth every penny imho).

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have found what I think is the correct charger which fits into a port at the bottom of the battery and has an output of 12 volts and 3 amps. Does this seem like the correct one? The house is a bit disorganised as he had not been well for some time and this charger was lying near the battery so assume they are connected.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm not familiar with the Gtech, but charging ports on ebike batteries are far from universal, so if the charging plug fits, you can reasonably confident it's the right one.

Having said that, the Gtech motor runs at 36 volts, so I would expect the charger to be marked as such.

Three amps sounds about right.

keithmac

Guru
I have found what I think is the correct charger which fits into a port at the bottom of the battery and has an output of 12 volts and 3 amps. Does this seem like the correct one? The house is a bit disorganised as he had not been well for some time and this charger was lying near the battery so assume they are connected.

No it's 36v or more, I'll post a picture of mine up after work so you know what it looks like, I don't think it has Gtech written on it but could be wrong!.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The battery output is certainly 36 volts and I am not up on electronics so does the charger have to give out 12 volts?
There is a model number on the charger which is WA36A12 which somehow suggests to my ignorance that this could be the correct charger. There is certainly no gtech id on it but that means nothing as chargers of all kinds are produced in large numbers in China anyway. It will be another 3 weeks before I can get to have another search tho' I may make a 400 mile round trip just to collect the bike before that.

keithmac

Guru
Sorry, it has got Gtech on it and it's 42v, the controller in the battery pack will regulate charging.

The lights on the battery flash as it's charging, when fully charged all 4 battery lights go out and the charger led lights up green (red when charging).

20170902_195219.jpg
20170902_195258.jpg

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Thanks for the pic. that is not what I have. The correct one must be lying about somewhere but I did not know exactly what I was looking for so may have passed it over in the jungle of electronic stuff there.

Top Bottom