Guardian Article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oooh! Cool!

Cab

Excellent article. And my own experience is quite similar; point at the camera, tell the other guy he's being filmed if absolutely necessary, and his behaviour suddenly improves.

Its a great tool in that respect, but also quite damning of an attitude to road safety, where the rules only matter if you're on camera ;)

GrahamG

Guru
I was expecting a bad article there but in fact the tone is quite positive - good emphasis on the lack of any serious incident since adopting the camera.

ChrisKH

Guru
I think it's part mental. I have started using the camera (again) more recently since being assaulted by a 4 x 4 driver, and it's not obvious I have one since it's fixed to the bars and could pass as a light. I see as much a change in myself as I do other drivers. No incidents yet. But if it acts as a deterrent, all well and good.

I suspect instead of swearing at offending drivers and peds (which has been my first reaction in the past as a result of the adrenalin rush I get from escaping death and injury) I can point to the camera and say 'go ahead, make my day' which is rather satisfying.

jonesy

Guru
This is an interesting trend. I wonder when motorists will start adding them to cars, or whether they will even start to be fitted as standard? I was thinking this while driving at the weekend. Someone in a 4x4 (*) threw a bag of litter from a window, thereby creating a hazard as well as a mess. A forward facing camera continuously recording say over a 10 minute loop would be ideal for incidents like that. With cameras in front and behind, tailgating, dangerous overtaking, mobile phone use could all be captured, and the recording would be very helpful in accident analysis; potentially encouraging bettter behaviour all round.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

mjones said:
This is an interesting trend. I wonder when motorists will start adding them to cars, or whether they will even start to be fitted as standard? I was thinking this while driving at the weekend. Someone in a 4x4 (*) threw a bag of litter from a window, thereby creating a hazard as well as a mess. A forward facing camera continuously recording say over a 10 minute loop would be ideal for incidents like that. With cameras in front and behind, tailgating, dangerous overtaking, mobile phone use could all be captured, and the recording would be very helpful in accident analysis; potentially encouraging bettter behaviour all round.

I think a push will eventually come from insurance companies. Drivers might get a discount if they agree to have cameras on board that record in the case of an incident (bump sensor).

I certainly would have no problem with that or individual drivers filming from cars. It's a sad fact (but a fact none the less) that people tend to follow rules better if they believe they could get caught. Cameras increase the likelyhood of getting caught....

jonesy

Guru
Indeed. People may complain about privacy, but if you are a pedestrian on the street then you are automatically much more easily observed by others, and hence your behaviour more constrained by social pressure than when in the much greater anonymity of a car. Cameras redress that imbalance.

Now you are famous you will have to invest in a better camera.

Tetedelacourse

I've been spat on, sworn at and forced off the road - and that's just by pedestrians. Cars, buses and taxis have driven at me, cut me up, swerved into my path and knocked me to the ground. During five years of daily cycling in Glasgow I have become accustomed to "almost dying" on a regular basis.

I don't see this as a positive article. It implies that you can expect the above treatment unless you wear a camera. FWIW I don't agree with that at all.;)

How many of you have been spat on for example?

Origamist

Legendary Member
Tetedelacourse said:
I've been spat on, sworn at and forced off the road - and that's just by pedestrians. Cars, buses and taxis have driven at me, cut me up, swerved into my path and knocked me to the ground. During five years of daily cycling in Glasgow I have become accustomed to "almost dying" on a regular basis.

I don't see this as a positive article. It implies that you can expect the above treatment unless you wear a camera. FWIW I don't agree with that at all.;)

How many of you have been spat on for example?

Whilst this is a bit of opening para journalistic hyperbole - it does reinforce the commonly held view that cycling is dangerous and generally unpleasant. This is unhelpful.

The speculation about whether a camera has made her less prone to incidents, is just that; speculation.

Top Bottom