Guardian Interview: MD of Raleigh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoiders

I disagree on the cyclist thing, being passionate about a sport doesnt make you a good business man, thats why Trek now own most of the original MTB brands

He needs to be a good business man, who consults a development team of cyclists and listens to what they have to say, the two together act as a check against the mistakes that can made by the one person acting alone

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Why don't we help him with his business plans, what would we do if we were in his position?

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I would sell the Raleigh brand to Halfords. I think it only has the legs to to fit in the sub £500 bracket, but it is better known brand than say Carrera. You could consolidate it as a no thrills, but essentailly good value 'everymans' bike. But don't ruin it by having any real crap, just well thought out, clearly defined bikes like the Subways, and maybe ending at the top end with an equivalent of the Ribble Winter training bike.

The £500 -£1000 range is going to be dominated by Spesh and Trek with their enormous volumes (and where Boardman is going to struggle to compete) and above that, I think you would have to spend millions on a pro tour team sponsorship deal to ever hope of making inroads.

I was saddened by the interview. I had a 531C twelve-speed (this drew gasps of admiration from small children) in 1987 that had fabulous geometry, steering like I've never had since (and that includes the Colnago) and beautiful paintwork. Sadly some fool rear-ended me doing 55mph and drove off - the Raleigh was no more, and I came close. But there you go.

Now I wouldn't look at one. The man has 'done a Ratner'. Roads to dangerous to cycle on - well, why make a living selling bikes, then? Bike shop owners grumpy - well ask them why and you'll probably find that they don't like being treated like dirt by suppliers.

snorri

Legendary Member
John the Monkey said:
I do still own a Raleigh (Pioneer Elite Hybrid) and whilst not terribly exciting, it's a solid, dependable bike.
Me too:smile: Did Lejog on it 10 years ago, and that encouraged me to take it further afield. Today we just went the 4.5 miles to the paper shop and back .:sad:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
snorri said:
Me too:smile: Did Lejog on it 10 years ago, and that encouraged me to take it further afield. Today we just went the 4.5 miles to the paper shop and back .:sad:

Blimey, I'm not sure mine would do LeJoG (although I'd prob. fail before it did ;) ). It's my "too rough for the roadie" bike, and my pootling with the kids bike.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
simon l& and a half said:
I was saddened by the interview. I had a 531C twelve-speed (this drew gasps of admiration from small children) in 1987 that had fabulous geometry, steering like I've never had since (and that includes the Colnago) and beautiful paintwork. Sadly some fool rear-ended me doing 55mph and drove off - the Raleigh was no more, and I came close. But there you go.

Now I wouldn't look at one. The man has 'done a Ratner'. Roads to dangerous to cycle on - well, why make a living selling bikes, then? Bike shop owners grumpy - well ask them why and you'll probably find that they don't like being treated like dirt by suppliers.
I've got a mid-eighties repair manual by a professional race mechanic and in it he states that Raleigh frames were a match for Colnago. I think they started to get it wrong with the Dyna Tech range. I had two of them (one for 9 years) and they were good frames, but I believe they had more than their share of tube faliures, particularly in models sold in the States.

Top Bottom