Gumtree

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

porridge

Move this thread if its in the wrong place

Does everyone agree that almost 90% of the bikes listed on the London gumtree website are stolen bikes?, virtually every person I call wants to meet at an underground station, its also very strange how many people haven't got receipts or proof of ownership, needless to say I haven't haven't one GENUINE and LEGAL bargain on Gumtree.

I'd never buy a second-hand bike unless the seller could provide proof of ownership, or a very good story about it. Unfortunately, there are many scrotes out there who do buy them.

gorber

I have just advertised a bike for sale on Gumtree and it is certainly not stolen.

And even though I only bought it a year ago, I don't think I could find the receipt, I have probably thrown it out. The best I could do is show emails from Wiggle.

It will be interesting to see if your's is a common perception.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've avoided second hand bikes on that basis... out of interest if asked about the bike are they able to tell you a sort of history... you know I've changed the knobbly tyres that came with the bike to.... etc? I've wondered about that as a way of weeding out the stolen ones - but I guess seasoned theives may have a story prepared?

grazzer

90% is probably a bit high, but there are certainly plenty of stolen bikes on gumtree. how do I know? because we tracked down my wife's stolen bike through an ad and retrieved it - from a kid who wanted to meet in front of tube station oddly enough - and because I saw a bike I had stolen (unmistakable not least given the thief had so kindly/stupidly described it in unique detail) there - too late unfortunately. In both cases the individuals had posted on several other occasions as searches for their mobile numbers showed.

phrases such as "has to/needs to go", "unwanted gift", "cash only" and "this bike retails for £1000 but selling it almost brand new for £200", together with abysmal spelling cropped in the posts by these tea leaves and I suspect will be a good indicator to other nicked stuff.

in my view anyone buying from these people suspecting the goods are not legit risks handling stolen goods and if they do is no better than the thieves themselves.

another good indicator is when they miss describe something, for example rocks shoxxs instead of roxx shoxx or describe it as roxx shoxx when its actually wearing manitou forks and can be seen to be in the pic.

universal way i've found is ask if its got tubeless tyres, if they seem confused or just reply "yeh" when its blatantly obvious it hasn't you know they have no idea about the bike.

saclimber

I think Grazzar is spot on the money, my bike was nicked on thursday, on friday the same bike appeared on Gumtree with a generic picture. After phoning the guy and asking some loaded questions, its clear as day that its my bike. The guy knew nothing about bikes and from the sounds wouldn't have the money to by an expensive bike. Also, he wants to meet at a place less than a mile from where the bike was nicked and go to where the bike is because he keeps it "at his sisters". Right.

I have just organised the cops to come with me tomorrow to meet the guy. Lets hope we get him and one more bike thief is off the streets.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
grazzer said:
in my view anyone buying from these people suspecting the goods are not legit risks handling stolen goods and if they do is no better than the thieves themselves.

spot on, for some reason people honest in every other way don't see themselves as culpable in this area.

A few years ago a group of us, at the golf club, were talking golf kit(as you do) and e-bay/internet sellers/car boots/small ads. This began as a discussion re whether we should pay more to support our resident pro, and his shop, or search for best price 'bargains'. There had also been a spate of recent thefts from local clubs and I brought up this point in reference to buying second hand. It really didn't seem to have crossed most peoples minds. But I'd say I was in the minority for only being prepared to buy from trusted sources. Bearing in mind we're talking some classic golf club types here, you know real 'pillars' of the community:biggrin:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
You've reminded me of The Great Mosaic Tile Fiasco.

for better or worse I used to specify a certain white mosaic tile for bathrooms. One night the security guard at one job found himself examining the business end of a shotgun, and, being a sensible chap, took Mr. Shotgun's advice and rested up for a couple of hours while all the tiles and sanitaryware on the job went for a ride in a van.

Two months later, inspecting another job, the contractor told me how pleased he'd been with his bargain tiles.....

ab1

Stolen bikes on Gumtree give others a bad name

I see... Perhaps this is why no one has replied to my ad on Gumtree:

<shameless plug>
Link removed by Mods
</shameless plug>

That is the only reason I can think of, because it is a really good bike and I guess the price is reasonable.

;)

Top Bottom