Gym workout times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Perry

I train in the gym for about 1h 30 - 1h 45m (about 3 days a week)

Some days when I'm busy and I'll do an intense workout but in a short time of 30 mins.

After my normal workout I'm tired and chilled.

After a short workout I'm buzzing with loads of energy.

Am I over training? I only do 1 body part a week.

Why do I feel so much better after a short workout?

I take a protein shake after a workout.

plank

1 hour 30 sounds like a long time and you only train one body part a week.

Try stronglifts 5x5 workout!

jimboalee

To many PTIs, there are six body areas.

Chest, back, shoulders, arms, legs and abs.

Doing a 'split routine' three sessions per week, do two areas each session.

I do a 4 set pyramid, 10, 6, 3 and 1 rep to max.

Do three exercises per body area, so six exercises per session.

That should take no longer than 45 minutes total.

After doing six exercises 10, 6, 3 and 1 rep to max, you won't feel like doing anything else except a sauna.

Im in the gym doing free weights at least 4 times a week. I split chest, back, arms, shoulders and legs on different days, then ad in abs every second visit. Usally about an hours workout each time. On top of that i cycle 100 miles.

If my goal was trying to bulk up, then i'd be overtraining (by cycling), but for me its half vanity and half for an endorphine hit. So the weights really just help definition.

Short workout increased your endorphine levels, without depleting your glycogen reserves, leaving you feeling alert and ready for me. The long workout is draining and needs more recovery.

I guess the key question would be.... What are your goals? what are you trying to achieve?

Tollers

jimboalee

Tollers said:
Im in the gym doing free weights at least 4 times a week. I split chest, back, arms, shoulders and legs on different days, then ad in abs every second visit. Usally about an hours workout each time. On top of that i cycle 100 miles.

If my goal was trying to bulk up, then i'd be overtraining (by cycling), but for me its half vanity and half for an endorphine hit. So the weights really just help definition.

Short workout increased your endorphine levels, without depleting your glycogen reserves, leaving you feeling alert and ready for me. The long workout is draining and needs more recovery.

I guess the key question would be.... What are your goals? what are you trying to achieve?

Tollers

Are you sure they were Endorphins and not just ordinary Adrenaline?

I've been pushing weights for 35 years and never got to Endorphins.

I passed a 6mm kidney stone in 2003 and then found out about endorphins. Quite different from the adrenaline rush of a hard workout or bike ride.

I got knocked off my bike on the second day of my LEJOG in 2007. My arm hurt as it hit the pavement. The pain went after a couple of miles and it was only when I got to the next B&B that I discovered my arm was broken.

Those are endorphins.

Youre prob right that adrenaline is a major component, but i always understood that lifting to failure (or anything stressfull/painfull)generates endorphines too. Don't they call it "natures reward drug" leaving you feeling exhilerated? I thought "runner's high" was linked to endorphines too.

Like i said. Im no expert though! Just trying to contribute!

jimboalee

Tollers said:
Youre prob right that adrenaline is a major component, but i always understood that lifting to failure (or anything stressfull/painfull)generates endorphines too. Don't they call it "natures reward drug" leaving you feeling exhilerated? I thought "runner's high" was linked to endorphines too.

Like i said. Im no expert though! Just trying to contribute!

Yup, you are right.

Just thumbed through my college books.

Endorphins are released by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus.

Can also be released during orgasm and successful masterbation. :smile:

Top Bottom