Halfords and the reverse fork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

madguern

Hi

A newbie at work purchase a cheap bike from Halfords, he dutifully took it out on sunday for first ride. He noticed that his foot kept hitting the front wheel. Then he noticed and thought it strange that the disc brakes were on different sides of the bike. Then it dawned on him, forks were reversed.

All very funny and we all had a laff back in the office. Then it struck me , how many other bikes are out there and why is there little to no quality control from a big store such as Halfords. I can understand supermarkets and DIY stores but halfords are supposed to be a bike shop !

How many bikes are out there with reversed forks ?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
A reasonable number ... I've certainly come across quite a few myself in our school bike shed - I usually point out to the parents when I see them. There are a few bikes which are meant to be like that - Mr Summerdays Cotic Roadrat for one - but it does look odd.

OP
OP
madguern

madguern

Strangly enough the bike he bought was an Apollo, tried to get him to buy from lbs but he wanted the cheapest deal. Also tried to sell him my old Trek 7.5 2 years old but he wanted new, bah people :-)

Rob

Chris S

Legendary Member
bso.JPG

Unfortunatley they're not that unusual on new bikes - here's a photo I took about a month ago.

This bike has been outside my block of flats since last year. The tyres still have the mouldings on so it can't have been ridden very far.

subaqua

What’s the point
bso.JPG

Unfortunatley they're not that unusual on new bikes - here's a photo I took about a month ago.

This bike has been outside my block of flats since last year. The tyres still have the mouldings on so it can't have been ridden very far.

that chain needs some lube on it too

festival

Über Member
I spent some time working for Halfrauds, ( he says through clenched teeth ) most of which was very frustrating as the promises of a new dawn in staff recruitment & training etc etc failed to materialize.
There are some decent people working for them but anyone with commitment and knowledge & skill are very few and far between.

They make big statements about their 'Trained Staff' but in case you don't know, this is what it really means.

Recognised qualifications are almost non existent and most self taught, experienced staff have long gone.

But they do have staff with little or no interest in bikes or cycling who have attended a group session of about 3 hours to show them how to take a bike out of a box, unpack it & put it up in the stand the right way round. This is the often touted 'Qualification' that customers can have peace of mind from
The are shown the correct sequence in putting it together & trouble shooting tips to adjust brakes and gears etc. If time allows the will be shown how to position the brake levers,tyre pressure and other tips.
This should be backed up with training dvds and regular assessments but generally isn't.
I am sure some of you would appreciate something like this to help kick start your home mechanics, but in reality its just a tick box exercise to get as many as possible 'qualified' for legal reasons imo.

Bear in mind many of the people who sell,build or repair bikes don't ride a bike and have no real interest in cycles so they are hardly going to make an effort to learn under their own initiative, imo

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
i saw another pair yesterday and yes she got the bike from h---f---s

lordjenks

to cubist:
it is common practice to route the hose above the bridge of the fork and down the legs, most common on longer travel bikes, if you were to route the hose anyother way then you run the risk of the hose cathcing on a branch when the fork is compressed - more "slack" in the hose.
i think it was peaty in 2001 that had his routed fron the front brake and round and not through the fork above the bridge, he caught it mid run and ran the rest of the route with only a back brake

Cubist

Still wavin'
to cubist:
it is common practice to route the hose above the bridge of the fork and down the legs, most common on longer travel bikes, if you were to route the hose anyother way then you run the risk of the hose cathcing on a branch when the fork is compressed - more "slack" in the hose.
i think it was peaty in 2001 that had his routed fron the front brake and round and not through the fork above the bridge, he caught it mid run and ran the rest of the route with only a back brake
Can't quite picture this, the ones I saw had the hose running to the bridge from the bars, then under the bridge and between the fork leg and the spokes. My immediate impression was that this route means the hose is vulnerable to being caught on the spokes. All the forks I have ever fitted/used have had a routing point on the bridge itself which naturally routes the hose down the outside of the fork leg to the PM.

Muddy Ground

Hose routing: My Fox routes on the outside, whilst my Rockshox routes on the inside of the bridge. As long as the hose isn't excessively long and is attached properly then there shouldn't be an issue with either way surely. I've had hydraulics for 16 years now and have never had a hose go into the spokes; front or rear. And if it did, surely it would just make an horrendous noise as it bounced off?

But... Halfords I would not a bike take!

www.muddyground.blogspot.com

cloggsy

Boardmanist
When I was in Halfords last, a lady was collecting her bike. The forks were the wrong way round & I pointed this out to her & she got them to change it immediately; she was not best impressed with the spotty youth who was serving her!

Some staff in some Halfords are excellent, but some are down right awful!

My wife's new bike had loose cables (which I had to reconnect.) The indexing of the gears is still not 100% & I'm not convinced I should take it back to Halfords for the 6-week check; I'd rather go to a LBS and pay to have it checked properly!

When I was in Halfords last, a lady was collecting her bike. The forks were the wrong way round & I pointed this out to her & she got them to change it immediately; she was not best impressed with the spotty youth who was serving her!

Some staff in some Halfords are excellent, but some are down right awful!

My wife's new bike had loose cables (which I had to reconnect.) The indexing of the gears is still not 100% & I'm not convinced I should take it back to Halfords for the 6-week check; I'd rather go to a LBS and pay to have it checked properly!

Or you could always do it yourself.

I've found this to be the best option, it lets you get to "know" your bike and the way it works.

Brian

Top Bottom