Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

groucho73

I wondered why Halfords got such a bad press.......Told by a friend about Slime so I decided to call into my local Halfords to get some advice about it. Was told by the sales assistant that he would definitely recommend it as he'd never heard anything bad about it and basically it does what it says on the tin. I decided to buy it and then spent about 10 minutes talking to the assistant about the bike I rode and what sort of mileage I was doing and I got the impression that he knew what he was talking about. Anyhow after getting home I decided to go onto Slimes own website to see what quantity I needed to use, and one of the first things I come across is if your bike has a Presta valve (which it has) then basically this product wasn't of any use to you. Now I'm no bike expert (far from it) but wouldn't the type of tyre/innertube/valve be one of the first questions you would expect to have asked by a bike sales assistant when enquiring about Slime ;)

purplepolly

groucho73 said:
I wondered why Halfords got such a bad press.......

First hand experience is always so much more enlightening than the theory. When I tried to buy slime in the EBC, they didn't want me to buy it. Always trust sales people who are trying not to sell you things.

edit: sorry forgot to say hello

Some Halfords people are very, very good. But a lot of them are kids who don't get any support.
It most be awful having people pestering you to fix their bike when you don't know what to do.

Bigtwin

John Ponting said:
How did you get the slime in?

I have slime in a presta valve tube but I bought it ready filled.

Same as a Schrader. Unscrew the valvey-bit-bobbins from the centre (pliers on the flatted nut below the screwy-up-and-downey bit), fill, replace.

Bigtwin

Steve Austin said:
This will go round and round. It don't belong in Beginners for sure

Best place for it, given that a lot of people have their first encounter with cycling at Haulfrauds. Forewarned is....

I've only ever had one slime filled tube, and after about six months the slime ended up in the (Schrader) valve, making it useless.
With things like this it's better to bite the bullet. P*nctures (we dare not speak their name!) are inevitable, so embrace them and learn to do the repairs at speed. I can do one in less than 5 minutes, although with modern tyres I hardly ever need to.

skwerl

you need tubes that have removable cores. most presta tubes don't but they are available.
My own experience of slime is that it didn't help. their pre-filled tubes are a pain in the arse to fit and have short valves

jimboalee

I bumped into the LBS man from Kelvin Cycles, Cubbington; and he gave me a pack of BikeDoctorX.

Magic stuff.

I have to say this cus his shop is terrific. Wonderful place. Helpful, good quality service and reasonably priced.

I wouldn't have anything bad said about that LBS.

Top Bottom