Halls of residence and boiler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milo

Guru
I have recently stated university and I am living in Halls. Our boiler has been out of action since last thursday and we have had no hot water or heating since that date. I have written a letter of complaint to residential services demanding compensation. I was just wondering if any legal types are aware if the university has a legal obligation to fix this problem should they try and refuse payment.

wafflycat

Get in contact with your student union. If you get the weight of your SU behind you you are more likely to get things done in terms of getting heating & hot water back on and possibly some financial compensation if your rent is supposed to include water & heating.

Damned compensation culture, kids want something for nothing etc etc mutter, grumble etc... :evil:

My own boiler died a couple of weeks ago, It cost me £1k to replace it, and it took 4 days to get a plumber in to do the work - they don't rush themselves even if you stamp your foot in indignation.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
milo - I suggest that you demand to see the Queen, in person, and complain directly to Gordon Brown.

Just roll up at the gates of Buck House and scream at the security guard, "Do you know who I am? Now get out of my way before I give you a dry slap!"

XmisterIS said:
milo - I suggest that you demand to see the Queen, in person, and complain directly to Gordon Brown.

Just roll up at the gates of Buck House and scream at the security guard, "Do you know who I am? 'I'M A STUDENT' Now get out of my way before I give you a dry slap!"

Corrected :evil:

thomas

the tank engine
milo said:
I have recently stated university and I am living in Halls. Our boiler has been out of action since last thursday and we have had no hot water or heating since that date. I have written a letter of complaint to residential services demanding compensation. I was just wondering if any legal types are aware if the university has a legal obligation to fix this problem should they try and refuse payment.

At UEA they were usually quite good with getting things fixed. Occasionally had hot water outages, but always got frequent email updates and usually fixed quickly (as in, didn't even notice it...other than I had a swamped inbox :evil:).

A friend's boyfriend did have lots of problems with hot water though. They got mildly warm water for about an hour a day or something, for the whole year. The UNI never got around to fixing it and in the end the entire building boycotted and refused to pay rent until it was fixed.

I'm not really sure what happened, but I know my friend's boyfriend complained enough times that they moved him into another hall, which had hot water, and I think gave him some compensation - can't remember what though. Probably like a month's free rent or something.

thomas

the tank engine
milo said:
Thanks thomas. We did not even see the boiler chap until yesterday. Fairly shoddy service frankly for the money I have to pay.

Well. I don't know. I think part of their job is to let you know what is happening.

Now, if they needed a certain part/replacment boiler, this could legitimately take a week or so. I don't know.

If you knew it would take X days, because of X reason it's not as bad.

milo said:
Very helpful Linf.

Apart from the ribbing aside, Unless they have a maintainance contract which stipulates the plumber must come and sort it out within X amount of hours/days, they have as much a chance of getting someone to resolve the issue as a private individual like myself.

My old boiler was beyond economic repair and fitting another one involved 2 Corgi registered plumbers working together for 6 1/2 hours to rework the pipes and commision the thing.

Unless you saw what they had to do, you have no idea why they took so long to resolve it.

Top Bottom