Hammerite lightweight club special aka 50's Dayton Roadmaster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is it a lugless Douglas ?

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Found what I presume is a frame number stamped on the bottom bracket shell drive side across AF5417

IMG_20180407_172545860.jpg

First quick search throws up Viking but cant find any ref to a lugless model

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/frame-numbering.html

Last edited:

southcoast

Über Member
Poor thing, l've come over all emotional :cry:

Your getting emotional. Should biggs682 set it free and release it from its shackles, after all these years?

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
So nice to see that genuinely stamped by hand number !

Aye not computer stamped or controlled

Your getting emotional. Should biggs682 set it free and release it from its shackles, after all these years?

Well its been released and ridden all of 50 yards in fixed gear mode , ride curtailed due to a couple of bits of the front tyre pealing of as i rode along and the lack of brakes being fitted .

A kind gent has pointed me at the mid 50's Dayton Roadmaster , and looking at below i would say spot on

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/1940s/1955-1959/1955-dayton-roadmaster/

going to try some white spirit and try and find the seat tube decal if it still there

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Before I put this to bed last night I gave a couple of areas a wipe down with white spirit and today I have been able to remove some of the Hammerite .

Also been routing through the garage trying to find a suitable alloy 27" front wheel to replace the 26" steel one that was fitted .

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Had a tinkering session this morning and stripped and cleaned the Brampton headset up and refitted with some fresh grease and an additional spacer as the top nut was bottoming out before taking the slack out .

I also brushed some Nitromors on the forks whilst i was cleaning the headset parts in some areas it just took the Hammerite off but in others it took all the layers of .

From the look of the paintwork on the bottom bracket it seems that the paint has lost all of it's life and has become brittle and will probably fall off in other areas. Paint stripper would be too harsh if you were trying to see if there are any underlying transfers . The use of solvents would be a more gentle approach especially the seat tube area where there would most likely to be a makers transfer .
As they say " Slowly, slowly catchy Monkey " !

Top Bottom