Hand held compass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone take a hand held Compass when touring in France? I have a gps but that could let me down. I have never used a compass before but I've been wondering about there usefulness in cycle touring.

thanks

A simple one will give you a idea of what direction North is, which can be handy at times, but a compass is best used with a topographical map more so if you are off road on some of the tracks you find in parts of France it would allow you to do a resection to pin point your location, hope that helpd

I have carried a compass for all of my touring life - first my good silva work compass and latterly an electronic one in my Suunto watch.

However, whilst I am very profficient in the use of a compass - I was taught at an early age to use one by my father who was a professional navigator and I often use one at work - I have never used one for navigation while on the bike. If I am hill walking the use of a compass - even if I have a GPS - is a given. The compass does come into its own in the evening when I am setting up my tent - so that -hopefully- I will get some early morning sun.

I think because I carry my map on a holder on the handlebars in front of me in sight all the time it enables me to have a good mental picture of where I am and are going - tend to be comparing the map all the time with features I can see on the map and the ground - other roads, rivers, the coast, railways etc - plus I am always subconsiously monitoring where the sun is (if I am so lucky) and the wind direction.

Much as I hate to agree with Cunobelin - I did experiment with a little bell with a compass (a gift) on the handle bars but after a while it soon became apparent that it could be as much as 45° difference from the true - my own mental view of which way up the world was was generally more accurate.

Nonetheless, if you think using a compass would help you then by all means take one - just be wary about how you use it

paulrw

I have carried a compass for all of my touring life - first my good silva work compass and latterly an electronic one in my Suunto watch.

However, whilst I am very profficient in the use of a compass - I was taught at an early age to use one by my father who was a professional navigator and I often use one at work - I have never used one for navigation while on the bike. If I am hill walking the use of a compass - even if I have a GPS - is a given. The compass does come into its own in the evening when I am setting up my tent - so that -hopefully- I will get some early morning sun.

I think because I carry my map on a holder on the handlebars in front of me in sight all the time it enables me to have a good mental picture of where I am and are going - tend to be comparing the map all the time with features I can see on the map and the ground - other roads, rivers, the coast, railways etc - plus I am always subconsiously monitoring where the sun is (if I am so lucky) and the wind direction.

Much as I hate to agree with Cunobelin - I did experiment with a little bell with a compass (a gift) on the handle bars but after a while it soon became apparent that it could be as much as 45° difference from the true - my own mental view of which way up the world was was generally more accurate.

Nonetheless, if you think using a compass would help you then by all means take one - just be wary about how you use it

paulrw

Always take one and have found it useful. Just a bit of added piece of mind when "lost" rurally in France. Also handy in towns when trying to get out ! Not always right though,can leadto wrong type of road etc.

Danny

Legendary Member
A simple one will give you a idea of what direction North is, which can be handy at times, but a compass is best used with a topographical map more so if you are off road on some of the tracks you find in parts of France it would allow you to do a resection to pin point your location, hope that helped

+1

Occasionally when I've missed a turning and gone off in the wrong direction I would have found it useful to have a compass to get myself orientated. However this happens so rarely that I never think to pack one.

Anthony

I always carry a compass with me on tour. I find it useful for finding the direction to go through towns when my map doesn't have enough detail.

OP
OP
roundisland
Great information given by all posters thanks.

As said above I think a compass could be useful in towns if I have lost my sense of direction and in rural places.

Brains

Legendary Member
For an outlay of about 3 quid get a 'compass bell' I have one on my tourer - useful to tell you where north is, not much use for anything else.

Bodhbh

Guru
I have one in the side pocket of my barbag, so it's easy to whip out, on the move if needed. It's for a quick sanity checks. It does want to be read a good foot or 2 above the handlebars although to avoid whatever metal is kicking around affecting the reading.

byegad

Legendary Member
I seem to have an inbuilt compass. When navigating unfamiliar territory it proves useful to know which way is North even if you don't have a map.

snorri

Legendary Member
I always take a compass on tour, and have it hanging from a belt loop on my trousers this keeps it handy for getting back to the tent from the pub at night as well as for the odd check during the day.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I always take one and the relevant map with me when on the bike in case I get the urge to try a new route while out.

It's useful to remember to stand at least 6 feet away from the bike while using the compass as metal frames can effect the needle.

Top Bottom