Handelbar trim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
^^^As above. Alternatively you can remove the bar and press down on it on a flat surface... Kitchen table etc. Don't use too much force when cutting to reduce the chances of it sticking and maybe use a bit of wd40 to help the blade slide through. Ordinary oil will just gum up the blades teeth.

You may need a longer stem if you cut the bars down which will be very dependent on you, the bike and how you use it but if it feels twitchy when you're done, fit a longer stem.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I always use a hacksaw and a clamp from an old set of lock on grips as a cutting guide

Then using a small file, file down flush to the edge of the clamp. this gives an even finish

Don't forget to remove any swarf and rough edges from the inside of the bar too, and blow out any debris inside

davidphilips

Veteran
Have to agree with pipe cutters, not only do they cut the bars really neat but leave no mess, they can be bought from ebay and delivered free for about £6.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I’ve done this before, keep the bars on the bike and use a plumbers type pipe cutter which leaves a really neat finish.
I did that, worked no probs, I did put a round of electrical tape round the bit I wanted cur, to prevent the blade sliding.
Thank you all for replying.
Which metal hacksaw would you go for the junior one or the larger one?
I understand about Pipe cutters but I've not got one and £20 is a bit steep for something I wont be using a lot.
@User46386 you can get one from Ebay for a fiver delivered, just pick the one that cuts up to the diameter of your bars.
Or take the bike to the LBS, they will do it in 5 min, probably charge about a fiver too if a flat bar.
Maybe more expensive it bar tape is involved.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Thank you all for replying.
Which metal hacksaw would you go for the junior one or the larger one?
I understand about Pipe cutters but I've not got one and £20 is a bit steep for something I wont be using a lot.

Use one with a higher TPI number (teeth per inch) This just gives you more control and a smoother cut.

At the end of the day, when all is said and done (sorry I was in a market town yesterday and learned that) it doesn’t really matter if it isn’t perfect because you are going to put the grips over your work anyway. So long as both bars are the same length.

Come back here for advice on the grips if need be. Always at your service. :notworthy:

Top Bottom