'Handicap' road racing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I reckon I am a lifetime away from even considering having a go...
Me too probably, but don't remove the hope and desire!

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Nonsense - just have a go but also have low expectations in terms of a result. I was targetting 59th (out of a field of 60) and my primary objective was to stay upright. Anything else is a bonus! :tongue:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Nonsense - just have a go but also have low expectations in terms of a result. I was targetting 59th (out of a field of 60) and my primary objective was to stay upright. Anything else is a bonus! :tongue:
Are there organised groups within each set off? Just strikes me that an organised group of 4-5 with a set out plan of who and when takes the front and for how long would be a lot better than second guessing what everyone was up to.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
The groups are about ten strong and the organisation of workload is up to the riders. Generally there will be one or two who are more keen to get things sorted. The race organisers will select the groupings at the start and call out numbers. You go to the road and form the group when your number is called. It's not pre-arranged as to the order of who is where, within the group though. Just have to see how it pans out and make tactical decisions based upon the situation. I made a couple of bad ones last night and a couple of good ones. That's all part of the fun, at least for me! There were folk who were unable to come through and do their turn on the front who just sat on the back of the group for many laps but everybody just got on with it. The stronger ones amonst us did some extra turns or longer stints on the front or formed a break, as mentioned earlier. It seems to be a balancing act between conserving energy for the (almost) inevitable catch by the peloton and giving yourself a fighting change of staying away by keeping a decent pace going.

oldroadman

Veteran
Best learning process for a new rider, handicaps. Learn to do steady through and off, maintain pace without expending too much energy, and how to hang on when a faster group comes up. One thing though, no point whatsoever in "sprinting" for places below about 10 in the finish, as this is the most crashes can happen. Diving through for an "ego place" can be very dangerous for everyone around you as well as yourself, and make no friends. And as you get better, friends in the peloton are a good thing to have.
To avoid the 4th cat crashes, get to the front, the idiots who think they can ride and listen to no advice usually end up hanging on, and again avoid the sprint if there is no chance of a sensible placing. Best to sit back and roll in, that way you can pick your way past the debris safely if it all goes pear shaped.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Strava link, with a tasty final lap due to clinging onto the Peloton for dear life!
http://app.strava.com/activities/54576954#

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sittingduck just out of interest, what age are you or what age group (if applicable) do you ride in...if and when I return to England, I do fancy having a go, but at 43 and not having seen any cat 3 - 4 racing or done any type of racing, I sometimes feel I might be getting too old to start tearing around the streets ^_^ yet I don't have the same misgivings about tri or duathlons which are other things I might consider giving a go ...

I turned 37 last week, so not really a spring chicken. Many of the guys I have seen so far aren't either, although the age range seems to be quite broad. In the races that I have tried so far, all ages are racing together apart from Juniors who are not allowed to race on open roads. There's a distinction between riders who are 40+ and they are classed as Vets. There are bonus point in the league for first Vet across the line, etc. Some other events are for Vets only but from what I can tell the majority are all bundled together. You should have a go, if you fancy it! I tried a cpl of TT's first (last Summer) to see how I might get on, with competative riding and am doing my first TT this year, tomorrow infact. They are ok but I find it hard to get excited about Time Trialing... I suppose everyone is into different things :smile:

Top Bottom