Handlebar compass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Does anyone know of a good handle bar compass if there is such a thing?
There are combined bell/compass for sale at Evans, but they don't look that great.
Any pointers in the right direction (sorry for the pun)... greatly appreciated..

jasper

Wouldn't the metal (bike) interfere with the readings...?

Bigtallfatbloke

I have a £2 job from decathlon with a whistle and a thermoter which I tie onto my bar bag on tour for those moments when the batterys on my gPS die.:biggrin:

Bodhbh

Guru
jasper said:
Wouldn't the metal (bike) interfere with the readings...?
Last time I ran the compass around the handlebars I didn't notice anything pulling the needle, guess nothing magnetic around (stainless steel isn't magnetic afaik). Tempted to bodge a compass to the bars at myself, seem to need constant referal to it at times.

jasper

Aye, I realised after posting that most people don't have steel bikes but couldn't be bothered going back to amend my post..

yenrod

ianrauk said:
Does anyone know of a good handle bar compass if there is such a thing?
There are combined bell/compass for sale at Evans, but they don't look that great.
Any pointers in the right direction (sorry for the pun)... greatly appreciated..

I got an oblong compass from a camping shop. - Under 2 quid.

Its on a key ring but I attached the ring to the computer wire and bluetacked it to the stem :wacko:

Its like this...

Key-Ring-with-Thermometer-and-Compass-2238028914.jpg

yenrod

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've used mine for navigating out of badly signposted cities and when I'm lost in the countryside. It's not a sophisticated method but at least you're heading in the right direction

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
used the Evans Compass/Bell for the first time in anger on Saturday.
Workes very well. So pleased with that.

Another poster asked what do they use compasses for?.. well on my 50 mile ride on Saturday it proved it's worth a couple of times.

A good little purchase imvho

Top Bottom