handlebars on fixed and track bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

why are they always pointing quite severely downwards, more so than on normal road bikes? is it a fashion thing or some ergonomic advantage?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Fashion, mostly.

You'll have one before long, won't you? I can see you getting drawn into it...

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I can tell you're over the even horizon now. It's just a matter of how long it takes you to fall into the black hole of fixie ownership.

We've differed on this point before, but personally, I think the sleek, minimalist lines of a fixe should be unsullied by fat ally tubes and threadless stems that look like scaffold joints.

But if I were thinking of a second fixie, I'd be bidding on that frame anyway.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

I don't understand, and therefore don't trust, threaded headsets. :biggrin: but i suppose if a nice frameset appeared with threaded forks (and threaded steerer - the frame itself has to be threaded aswell as the forks presumably?) then i may bite the bullet... only when i had a £50 bargain basement bin shitter MTBSO, my first bike, it had a threaded headset which kept coming loose, resulting in loss of steering. which wasn't good. And i still don't know why. And i dont' like bike problems that i don't know what's causing it.
the one thing that makes it look bling for me is nice wheels. i.e., radial spokes, deep section rims (if possible without being too expensive) and, importantly, washing-basket hubs. but where do you get fixie parts? like wheels, and cranks? all the ones on wiggle etc. are for non fixies. Do you ahve to just join some club and "know the right bloke" who can get you one on the black market?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

hmm.. they haven't got any washing basket hubs or pics of completed wheels but they have got black hubs which are quite nice...

OP
OP
B

bonj2

a bit like this bike
http://www.kgsbikes.com/images/IMGVIEWER2/IMG_4595.JPG

(that's a very nice bike actually)

Christopher

Über Member
I guess he means high-flange hubs with coutouts, Dom. I have them, they are very pretty.

Anyway Planet-X do a lot of track stuff:
http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Track.html

A lot of people use high-end components on their fixed: Phil Wood, Chris King, Goldtech, Royce etc. All very fine but very pricy. You can do just as well with standard components like Shimano BBs, Cane Creek headets and single rings made to fit normal spiders. Spa Cycles do single chainrings in every standard BCD (110 through 144mm). SJS Cycles do more still and in funny sizes like 151mm.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Frustruck said:
I guess he means high-flange hubs with coutouts, Dom. I have them, they are very pretty.

Anyway Planet-X do a lot of track stuff:
http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Track.html

A lot of people use high-end components on their fixed: Phil Wood, Chris King, Goldtech, Royce etc. All very fine but very pricy. You can do just as well with standard components like Shimano BBs, Cane Creek headets and single rings made to fit normal spiders. Spa Cycles do single chainrings in every standard BCD (110 through 144mm). SJS Cycles do more still and in funny sizes like 151mm.

yeah.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
A nice frame, that. The down tube gear lever bosses would irritate me if I didn't remove them though - and that would mean a new paint job.

The only components specific to a fixie are the rear hub, sprocket and lockring. Everything else can be regular bike parts.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

yeah me too. i'd want to powder coat it black anyway... wouldn't cover those bits though... seat post clamp looks a bit rusty aswell

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Ah, now you're being fussy - the seat post clamp isn't part of the frame. You might dig into your savings for a new one.

If you're going to have it powder coated, you can take the opportunity to make any other alterations to the frame you fancy - like adding or removing bottle cage bosses, mudguard eyes and so on. If it was me, I'd remove the gear lever bosses and leave it at that. If you're handy with a brazing torch, removing them would take about five minutes. Five more minutes with a file and you're done.

I've done a few modifications of this sort to frames now, including a frame whose dropouts I removed and replaced with track ends. And I have a nice man up the road who does excellent powder coating. And I know exactly how threaded headsets work and how to set them up properly.

Buy this frame and I'll "fix" it for you, powder-coat it and re-fit the headset and bottom bracket. I'll build the whole bike on it if you want.

Top Bottom