Happy new owner of a Dawes World Tour 1997

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

looe

Hi all,
I am a happy new owner of a 1997 Dawes World Tour and I have a few questions:
Was this bike a success or not? Very little info found on the net about this bike.

What do you think about it?

Did it come with Deore LX as standard?

Thank you

kettle

hi
do not know this bike well I have a dawes horizon of 2 years and love it. I know there are some questions about the recent dawes re the frames coming from the far east but I have never come across anybody comfirming this.
I think with the date on yours it will be A1.
The baseline is that dawes is the standard.
Enjoy

PpPete

Legendary Member
Not a model i'm familiar with.
Can you post a picture?

Dawes certainly used Deore LX on the Galaxy range around that time.
The Galaxy has of course long been a benchmark as far as touring bikes are concerned, but I think they were still Reynolds 531 steel tube in 1997.

I believe Tim Barnes and his wife both used Dawes World Tours for a ride across Europe and Central Asia in 2006 http://www.timbarnes.ndo.co.uk/equipment.htm

This is taken from his website :- We don't know much about bike frames. The only things that gave us any grief were:
  • Lack of sufficient clearance between the tyre and the mudguards. This meant the wheels just about siezed when we went through any mud.
  • Mudguards - ours were SKS, which are supposed to be quite good, but they just weren't up to the job, i.e. too insubstantial, always getting bent out of shape. A real pain
If they were the only problems they had with the bikes, then winner :biggrin:

Frank Kelly

Yup, both our Dawes World tours are still going strong. There's more detail on how they have performed over the years at:
http://www.adventure-cycling-guide.co.uk/bike4.htm
Cheers
Tim
Hi Tim the website doesn't seem to be working , id love to have a look at your experiences if possible best regards Frank

Brandane

Legendary Member
Hi Tim the website doesn't seem to be working , id love to have a look at your experiences if possible best regards Frank
Welcome to CycleChat!
As a new member you probably haven't noticed that you have revived a thread that is 11 years old, and Creamcrackered hasn't been logged in for 3 years. :okay:
Having said that, the link still works for me, strangely.
Enjoy the site, and if you want more info on that particular bike then I would suggest starting a new thread in this section (or maybe even General Cycling), and some helpful person will be along shortly. There is a lot of collective knowledge on here :smile:.

Edit to add..... Results for a site search on "Dawes World Tour" , click here.

GuyBoden

Guru
I've got a 1977 Galaxy for pottering around Cheshire, very comfy ride. The Suntour Vx rear derailleur works faultlessly after all these years. A classic bike.

Top Bottom