Hartlepool By-Election

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Conservatives have announced their candidate.

Jill Mortimer is a farmer and district councillor in North Yorkshire.

Central Office is not saying much else until she's presented to the Press on Monday.

They do say they are under 'no illusions' about how hard it will be to get the first Conservative elected since the present seat was created in 1974.

SkipdiverJohn

Veteran
I can't get my head round Labour's choice of candidate. You'd think that given the overwhelming pro-Brexit referendum result, traditional working class electorate, and general public dislike of politicians with "history", they would not choose a hardcore remoaner who wanted a second referendum, and who has said some controversial things.
Putting up someone like Williams is just like handing your opponents a loaded shotgun and inviting them to shoot you in both feet with it. His history won't go unnoticed and will be dragged up at every opportunity by everybody involved who isn't the Labour Party.

OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I can't get my head round Labour's choice of candidate. You'd think that given the overwhelming pro-Brexit referendum result, traditional working class electorate, and general public dislike of politicians with "history", they would not choose a hardcore remoaner who wanted a second referendum, and who has said some controversial things.
Putting up someone like Williams is just like handing your opponents a loaded shotgun and inviting them to shoot you in both feet with it. His history won't go unnoticed and will be dragged up at every opportunity by everybody involved who isn't the Labour Party.
What if he has flags tho?

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Is that a parody? Is that a whippet in their emblem? Do they think they can get the NIPs out in the North of England in this weather?

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
They are both serious and joking.
I really, genuinely don't know what to say to that. :wacko:

SkipdiverJohn

Veteran
I really, really hope that Labour get a bloody nose and lose Hartlepool, as they've been patronising and insulting their own traditional core supporters for many years now.
If they can't put up a real traditional working class Labour candidate, who supports Brexit, is proud to be British and fly the flag, doesn't believe in all the PC identity politics bollocks, and isn't just a failed reject from another seat, they really don't deserve to win.

spen666

Guru
Unless you subscribe to the theory that a monkey is a perfectly OK candidate so long as they wear the red rosette, then I believe Labour will regret their stitch-up shoo-in choice.
It smacks of just being "compensation" for losing his old seat at the last election.

this is Hartlepool isn't it?

They did of course convict a monkey of being a French Spy ( allegedly) and elect a football club mascot H'Angus the Monkey as their Mayor twice

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If they can't put up a real traditional working class Labour candidate, who supports Brexit, is proud to be British and fly the flag, doesn't believe in all the PC identity politics bollocks, and isn't just a failed reject from another seat, they really don't deserve to win.
That's absurd! No-one can claim to be "real traditional working class" and not be engaging in "identity politics bollocks"! No-one can support Brexit if they are proud to be British! And least said the better about the "fly the flag" nonsense from people who are so ignorant that they put themselves on the same level as the flag! That was a strict taboo until this shower started — the custom was that flags of the UK nation should always be held proudly aloft, not left limp on a floor pole! Did these idiots never notice that? Did they never study the traditions of the country they were planning to hijack?

The "reject from another seat" accusation is fair, though. It's pretty annoying when parties do that instead of trying another local candidate, unless they were a superstar MP.

Top Bottom