Hartlepool By-Election

Adam4868

Guru

SkipdiverJohn

Veteran
The "reject from another seat" accusation is fair, though. It's pretty annoying when parties do that instead of trying another local candidate, unless they were a superstar MP.
Ok, at least you accept that the choice of a previously unseated candidate is a stitch-up.
Do you think plumping for an unreformed hardcore 2nd referendum Remoaner is the smart choice in a 70% Brexit-voting area? :laugh:

SkipdiverJohn

Veteran
The Leave voters haven't been had. They've got what they voted for. They voted Brexit, they got Brexit. And the Labour Party think standing an already rejected anti-Brexit 2nd referendum troublemaker from May's Remoaner parliament is the way to garner maximum Labour support? If this is the best Labour can do after the drubbing they got last time, the Tories have got no worries, no matter how inept Johnson might be at times.

SkipdiverJohn

Veteran
The benefits of Brexit are we are no longer in the EU. Is it really that hard for you to grasp?

HMS_Dave

Pillock
Jenny Jones is a Brexiteer. Not sure if she still is as i don't follow her. However, her view on leaving the EU is "the EU exists on too large a scale for genuine democratic oversight and accountability. The Green party believes that small is beautiful – and the EU is gigantist in its very nature."

Interesting point. One that also should please many men...

OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Jenny Jones is a Brexiteer. Not sure if she still is as i don't follow her. However, her view on leaving the EU is "the EU exists on too large a scale for genuine democratic oversight and accountability. The Green party believes that small is beautiful – and the EU is gigantist in its very nature."

Interesting point. One that also should please many men...
What does this have to do with the Hartlepool by-election?

OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Perhaps you could ask the posters who mentioned brexit before me?
That was about the wisdom or otherwise of fielding a strongly Remain candidate in the strongly Leave-voting constituency of Hartlepool. Jones is a former London Assembly member and a member of the HoL, with no connection to Hartlepool that I am aware of. Am I missing something?

HMS_Dave

Pillock
That was about the wisdom or otherwise of fielding a strongly Remain candidate in the strongly Leave-voting constituency of Hartlepool. Jones is a former London Assembly member and a member of the HoL, with no connection to Hartlepool that I am aware of. Am I missing something?
I don't think so. I mentioned it as there was a discussion about remainer MPs in a pro brexit constituency and Jenny Jones is a brexiteer in a largely remain area, stood as candidate in a remain area in a largely remain party... Thought it was an interesting contrast given the direction of the discussion.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Will the candidates previous position on Brexit be relevant?

However badly, Boris has got Brexit done. It's not current Labour policy to seek to re-join. Would it be controversial for Paul Williams to say that Labour would want to address the inadequacies in the withdrawal agreement so as to (for example) improve the lot of Fishermen, Cheesemakers etc who now struggle to export?

Top Bottom