Hartlepool By-Election

OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I don't think so. I mentioned it as there was a discussion about remainer MPs in a pro brexit constituency and Jenny Jones is a brexiteer in a largely remain area, stood as candidate in a remain area in a largely remain party... Thought it was an interesting contrast given the direction of the discussion.
Fair enough.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
The benefits of Brexit are we are no longer in the EU. Is it really that hard for you to grasp?
Yes. We were promised tangible gains and no losses. Boris has not delivered that. So far, after 3 months we're seeing lots of downsides and no ga

Reactions: C R

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Yes. We were promised tangible gains and no losses. Boris has not delivered that. So far, after 3 months we're seeing lots of downsides and no ga
Playing Devil's avocado - I'm sure the Tories will point to the success of the vaccine rollout compared to what appears to be a shambles on the continent as a benefit of Brexit and an endorsement of "going it alone".

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Another hat has been thrown into the ring.

Samantha Lee is standing as an independent as a local lass who will represent the town in Westminster.

She reasonably points out both of the major parties only pay attention to Hartlepool for a couple of weeks around election time before clearing off until the seat is up for grabs next time.

It's an approach that would be valid in other seats - a local candidate with genuine interest in the locality.

Unfortunately for her, General Elections, more than local ones, tend to be regarded by the electorate as national poll.

The chances of success for her are slim, even though she probably would make a better MP for Hartlepool than someone who arrived with a red or blue parachute.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So if Brexit mattered so much why is Starmer polling so badly ?
Almost literally Islington Labour, viewed from Hartlepool?

Top Bottom