Has anyone ever recovered their stolen cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I found this section genuinely very sad and flicked through to see if anyone had reported success in finding their stolen cycle-can't see any :sad: .
My son had his £2K off road bike stolen so I know how gutted it can make you........I think it would be good news to hear/read of any success.

e-rider

crappy member
There has been one or two on here, but the vast majority of people never see their bike again!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Miss Charlotte recovered all eight. Soon to be featured on 'Robbed, Raided and Re-united' another Cosmodemonic Telly Co production.

mattypoos

Apparently if you have and report the frame number you are much more likely to get it back. Fingers crossed for mine!

It helps if people report it, which they sometimes don't. I saw a shiny Boardman road bike in the office today, the 'comp' one. Someone had clearly loved it, as they'd upgraded the wheels, the tyres and the saddle. It also had a SRAM rival group set and Ultegra brakes, not sure if they are standard or not, and had been founded stashed next to a load of other confirmed stolen items in a bad guys house.

Problem is the frame isn't registered and it doesn't match any reported stolen bikes, so the officers are struggling to find an owner. Maybe one to watch for the later property auctions...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There is a website in Bristol to report stolen bikes, and they do also report back when they have been found. In fact in the word link bits on the side Recovered has been linked to 29 times (which was in 4th position after City Centre, Specialized and Giant).

http://www.stolenbristolbikes.com/

gbb

Legendary Member
I found this section genuinely very sad and flicked through to see if anyone had reported success in finding their stolen cycle-can't see any :sad: .
My son had his £2K off road bike stolen so I know how gutted it can make you........I think it would be good news to hear/read of any success.

I suppose whether you get it back is down to pure luck Dave...
My sons commuter MTB was stolen a while ago, nothing special and TBH i didnt even report it to the police. Circa 2 months later, i saw it locked up in town, about 50 yards from the police station. Straight into the station, i had to produce proof of ownership (all i had were some photos) and they recovered it, waited in case the other 'owner' claimed it...then gave me it back.

So you can get them back, circumstances vary, its all down to luck i think.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Yes, me. I got my stolen bike back after about a year.
I was in town and as always never could stop looking at similar bikes in the vain hope that one day...well as it happened one day I bloody well saw it chained up in town. On inspection it was definitely my bike which had been nicked from the back yard in a shed about a year before. I phoned the police and whilst waitng the guy who had my bike turned up. He bought it in good faith from bloody cash generator (which is why you will hear me rail against them and those like them at every available opportunity).
I spent a while explaining to the guy that I thought it was my bike and told him some details about it that only I would have known. There was enough detail to convince the guy that it was indeed mine and he was an absolute brick about the whole thing and admited freely that he thought it was mine. The copper turned up and we all marched off down the road to the very shop where he had bought it. For some reason he had a load of his documents on him for something he was doing and included in them was the actual reciept that he got from C.G. for the bike. Because I had reported it to the police my case and a full description were available to the copper on the scene which convinced him of my story and so the manager of CG couldn't really deny that it was my bike.
I got my bike back and the guy who bought it got his money back and the guy who nicked it was arrested a few days later and got done for handling stolen goods. (If they had taken finger prints and forensic evidence like I told them to at the time then they could have done him for nicking it as well but it was pointed out to me that this would be impractical to do for every stolen bike. I strongly disagree but what is one to do?)
For days I couldn't believe that it had all worked out so neatly and how lucky I had been. The guy had looked after the bike well and apart from a worn bottom bracket which I would have had to replace if I had used it and a bit of muck there was nothing wrong with it. Not even rusty, but then it is aliminium. Litteraly one hour after seing my old bike I was riding it back home. The bloke even popped by my house and gave me back the rack that had been on it. The back light was still on it for gods sake and still worked.
So it is possible but it was down to sheer luck. I didn't have the serial number so the guy who bought the bike could easily have just said tough luck mate it's mine now unless you can prove it, which I couldn't apart from the details I shared with him about it. He could just as easily have said, nah mate dont know what you mean. And the fact that he not only kept the reciept but actually had it on him that day. I'm still not sure it really happened and doubt it ever will again.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I got a stolen bike back about 4 years later.
I'd reported it stolen at the time, the person who found it reported it to the police (in the same town!!!) and was told they could keep it after 3 months or however long it was.
Few years later, I saw it, recognised it and got the police involved.
Got it back a few weeks afterwards.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I also got my stolen bike back.
It was nicked in MCR centre in Jan '10 and it appeared on Ebay in Jun '10. It took me several months and lots of pestering before GMP went and got it back.
I ended up buying the bike off the insurer and converting it to a Rohloff. I was also able to change the spec of the replacement bike (I'd already got the go ahead from the insurance company to order a new one and I'd put down a hefty deposit before the old bike reappeared) to get a lighter, faster machine.
In the end it worked out quite well for me.

Cheddar George

oober member
My lads BMX is like a boomerang, email in the report to the police give them the frame number and back it comes, mind you it's not been nicked to be sold on, only for local scrotes to use and then dump.

(If they had taken finger prints and forensic evidence like I told them to at the time then they could have done him for nicking it as well but it was pointed out to me that this would be impractical to do for every stolen bike. I strongly disagree but what is one to do?)

That's a poor excuse for no forensics, what force is that? Only reason we don't do them is if we have genuine reason to think it'd be pointless.

However, handling is a more serious charge than theft would you believe, so overall everything worked out nicely!

Top Bottom