Has anyone here ridden a Rowing Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PrettyboyTim

I've looked with interest at various rowing bikes:

The RowBike by the guy who invented rollerblades:
anim_gal.gif

The SkullTrek
image%20(12).jpg

The RowingBike
roeibeweging.gif

I quite like the idea, if only for my own vanity. I've noticed that cycling has given a rather handsome set of thighs and a pretty flat tummy, and it'd be neat if I could get the top half of my body to follow suit without the bother of going to a gym.

I like the look of the RowBike as it's the cheapest one and it also not stupidly long. It does concern me how close to the ground the power bar goes during a stroke though. The RowingBike looks like the best one but at over £2500 is bloody expensive.

Anyone had any experience of these?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
It'll never catch on! But looks a lot of fun. Steering might be a problem. That dude in your bottom pic has been on the same straight stretch of road for 35 mins no on my screen ;);):angry:

10 minutes later edit... man, he's still going! That sure is one long road!

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

Dayvo said:
I'd like to see a 'fixed' version going downhill! ;)

The Rowbike works by dragging a chain back and forth around the rear derarilleur; I don't think you'd be able to get far on a fixed version ;)

The cheapest rowbike is single-speed, though.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've had a go on a trike version - it was too big for me, so I couldn't really get a feel for it. It had a rather odd electric steering set up, controlled by a rocker switch, and at least one friend ended up in a field beside the cyclepath before he got the hang of it.

That Rowbike girl - she'd get much further if her wheels went round....;)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
trustysteed said:
i'd like to ride that top one!

Honestly, this is supposed to be a family forum. There's a place for filth and smut like that.;)

Is it just me or are her wheels throbbing or something? Weird set of images.

Oh, and *wants*

TheDoctor said:
Is it just me or are her wheels throbbing or something?

they're engorged, distended even.

rikki

Legendary Member
Thanks Prettyboy Tim

(I don't believe I just typed that)

I hadn't seen the first 2 before, but have always fancied trying the RowingBike.

The weight transfer involved in each stroke on the RowBike and SkullTrek must affect braking, steering and roadholding. Weight transfer in a badly rowed scull is pretty counter productive, but boats don't have brakes, steer through their hulls, nor do they balance on rotating wheels.

I've seen reports that the RowingBike is pretty (that word again) effective for covering distance.

Has anyone here ridden any of them?

red_tom

Why not just take up rowing? :biggrin: It's a fantastic sport and complements cycling really well. My club, Lea RCare based in East London, not at all snooty (quite hard if you're based in Hackney) and are super welcoming.

There's a Sunday morning learn to row course that's just started that I could probably sneak people onto if anyone's interested.

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

rikki said:
Thanks Prettyboy Tim

(I don't believe I just typed that)

Feel free to call me 'Tim' or 'PBT'... :smile:

red_tom said:
Why not just take up rowing? :biggrin: It's a fantastic sport and complements cycling really well. My club, Lea RCare based in East London, not at all snooty (quite hard if you're based in Hackney) and are super welcoming.

There's a Sunday morning learn to row course that's just started that I could probably sneak people onto if anyone's interested.

My Wife works on a Sunday, so I have to look after the kids which limits somewhat what I can get up to. Besides, the thing I liked about the rowbike idea was that I'd get the benefits of rowing without having to spend any extra time doing it - I'd just be using the row bike for my commute.

Top Bottom