Has anyone noticed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

On a geared bike different crank lengths tend to feel the same. On a fixed I prefer the 165 cranks, I feel more comfortable descending on a short crank, that may have something to do with me being a short arse.

RedRider

Pulling through
I didn't realise that was the green; it looks different on the PX website. This green (above) is lovely!
I've been trying to find pictures of the green without a lot of luck - as you say, on the px website it looks dark, barely discernible on my screen at least from the black - but they have a little sidebar with a couple of builds including this one... http://www.planetx.co.uk/readers-rides/your-ride/q/1942161050_kdennett1_holdsworth-bitsa
I hope that is the colour but if not, so be it.
I seem to remember reading an article in one of the magazines recently, about relative crank lengths. The conclusion was that it doesn't matter what length you have (except for the clearance issue, of course, but not if you're sensible and use a freewheel)!
Haha. I know what you mean... I've freewheeled down many a glorious hill on a previous singlespeed thinking, 'what kind of masochist would want to deny this pleasure?' When that bike was stolen I borrowed a mate's with a flip flop hub. It got a puncture one rainy night and in the dark i replaced the wheel the 'wrong way' round. Ended up riding home fixed. I left it that way for a few weeks and found I was enjoying it or getting off on the terror, I'm not sure which.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The headset arrived today and it it has a split crown race, so I just pushed it on with my fingers. The headset went in smoothly with my homemade press, which is a length of threaded rod, some bits of broken chopping board, and heavy washers.
I think I have enough silver ones. Whathat I really meant was that I am going to have to cut the steerer down I expect.
Now, do I have a free day on Saturday to do it?

I could accuse you of cheating with the split race, but it sounds utterly sensible to me :smile: Your press sounds classier than mine, I have a bit of felt on some washers with the threaded bar.
I had to lop off quite a lot of steerer, a cheap pipe cutter did it, but I did kill the cutter. I need to lop some off some other forks that have a Carbon steerer, I think that could involve a rare trip to a LBS. I am looking forward to seeing your build and how you get on with mudguards.

RedRider

Pulling through
How's @User and @Fab Foodie getting on with the Holdsworth's? They do look smart.
In the end I managed to find a vintage 531 frame in good nick for £100. I had the bike shop fit the bb and headset and have been riding it around on 48 x 18 fixed with 165 cranks and 28 tyres for the last month.
Barring a couple of months earlier this year I'd never ridden fixed before and there's a couple of things I've noticed compared to ss free and geared.
Like the OP I feel it's just as easy to get up the inclines around here as on my geared bike, perhaps easier, and certainly quicker.
Secondly, I rode my geared bike for a couple of days during the last month and even after a short time on the fixed it felt as if it was broken! The lack of constant forward motion on the cranks registered as tho there was actual resistance in the drive train and it took both days to get reused to this. Very odd.
I'm really enjoying fixed and kind of wish I'd tried it earlier (having ridden single free for a few years).
One thing I haven't mastered is the track stand which is always useful for a few seconds at least when riding with slow moving traffic. I could 'trackstand' for 20n30 or so seconds with a freewheel which was enough but seems a different skill fixed.
I'm looking to get a 17 cog to go on the other side of the fixed/fixed hub now, I think it will be ok on my daily soirees up and among the south London alps and will help with the speed going down them. Looking forward to a first 50 mile into the countryside next, hopefully this weekend.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
How's @User and @Fab Foodie getting on with the Holdsworth's? They do look smart.
In the end I managed to find a vintage 531 frame in good nick for £100. I had the bike shop fit the bb and headset and have been riding it around on 48 x 18 fixed with 165 cranks and 28 tyres for the last month.
Barring a couple of months earlier this year I'd never ridden fixed before and there's a couple of things I've noticed compared to ss free and geared.
Like the OP I feel it's just as easy to get up the inclines around here as on my geared bike, perhaps easier, and certainly quicker.
Secondly, I rode my geared bike for a couple of days during the last month and even after a short time on the fixed it felt as if it was broken! The lack of constant forward motion on the cranks registered as tho there was actual resistance in the drive train and it took both days to get reused to this. Very odd.
I'm really enjoying fixed and kind of wish I'd tried it earlier (having ridden single free for a few years).
One thing I haven't mastered is the track stand which is always useful for a few seconds at least when riding with slow moving traffic. I could 'trackstand' for 20n30 or so seconds with a freewheel which was enough but seems a different skill fixed.
I'm looking to get a 17 cog to go on the other side of the fixed/fixed hub now, I think it will be ok on my daily soirees up and among the south London alps and will help with the speed going down them. Looking forward to a first 50 mile into the countryside next, hopefully this weekend.
Hi
You seemed to have discovered the strange joy of fixed!
I've not ridden mine much as I couldn't get on with the bullhorn bars. I've fitted drops and regular brake levers but have not had chance to refit the brake cables yet....soon I hope!

Basil.B

Guru
Tempted to get one of those Holdsworth singlespeed frames myself.
Need a bike that can have mudguards fitted.
Out of stock at the moment though.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I find myself using mine more and more - I am yet to fit mudguards, so I use it when it is relatively dry. Luckily the weather has been kind enough.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I find myself using mine more and more - I am yet to fit mudguards, so I use it when it is relatively dry. Luckily the weather has been kind enough.

The frame is £64 at the moment, I am tempted by another in orange this time. One with mudguards and one without.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOLAQ/holdsworth-la-quelda-steel-single-speed-frameset

Edit- just realised, that is only for 'proper man sized frame'.

Top Bottom