Has your helmet saved your life poll

How has the cycle helmet preformed for you

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
No, i survived due to my bone structure being a lot more flexible than it is now, this is biological fact TOO !

In automotive collisions, the child’s head is the body area most frequently and most seriously involved. In a study of children’s injury patterns in 14,520 rural automobile accidents involving 31,925 occupants, it was found that children (birth through 11 years) had a frequency of 77% head injuries (Moore et al, 1959). This was a much greater frequency than either adolescents (69%) or adults (70%) in this study, although it was found that child head injuries were of a more minor variety than either adolescents or adults. Agran and Winn (1987) identified head injuries in 50% of children, either lap-shoulder belted or unrestrained. Contributing to specific head impact problems are the large head of the child, the relatively soft, pliable, and elastic bones of the cranial vault, and the fontanelles. As compared with the adult, these features make the head of the child less resistant to impact trauma. In a collision, for example, the unrestrained child, because of his large head and high CG, would ‘lead with his head’. Crash data covering infants and children up to 4 years of age indicate that 77% of those who were injured in automobile accidents had head injuries (Kihlberg and Gensler, 1967). The vulnerability to injury of an infant’s head occurs even prior to birth, as has recently been shown in a study of fetal deaths involving restrained and unrestrained pregnant women in auto accidents (Crosby et al, 1968). The reasons for this greater frequency of head injury in children can be demonstrated both anatomically and biomechanically. The child’s head is proportionately larger than in the adult (Young, 1966). (Fig. 5). This heavier head mass and resulting higher seated CG in young children, coupled with weaker neck supporting structures, may be, in part, the basis for this higher frequency of head injury.

I did a very quick Google and this came up, I realise it's talking about car accidents but it does seem to disagree with your assertion.
(My underline and bold)

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Been trying to reply to this and Shaun's site wont let me without posting half a reply?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
No, Mugshot thats a question - that why it had a ? after the text which made up what is known as a QUESTION ? lol
I know it's a question lay, you know I know it's a question, however the reason you are asking it is because you are stalling. So why not try answering my question first, then we can get on to your assertion about childrens skulls and I'll answer your question.

lay

I know it's a question lay, you know I know it's a question, however the reason you are asking it is because you are stalling. So why not try answering my question first, then we can get on to your assertion about childrens skulls and I'll answer your question.

No im not stalling Mugshot - this is pathetic - im being straight, i'm not playing any mental smart-game...like it seems others are on here.

It's pretty obvious a child should wear a helmet...children are sacrosantly important.

A silly question.

Now,

Do you ?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
No I dont. I do not advocate that anybody should wear a helmet, nor do I advocate that anybody should not. What I advocate is that the information available is looked at and an informed decision is made.
It's pretty obvious a child should wear a helmet...children are sacrosantly important.
Do you believe children should wear a helmet when engaging in any activity where they may bump their head as they are "sacrosantly important"?

lay

No I dont. I do not advocate that anybody should wear a helmet, nor do I advocate that anybody should not. What I advocate is that the information available is looked at and an informed decision is made.

Do you believe children should wear a helmet when engaging in any activity where they may bump their head as they are "sacrosantly important"?

Your initial reply is crazy.

2ndly if the parent deems it proper then yes..

This is all basic stuff everyone knows that a child's head is very pliable.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
It tells me that you didnt read my post.
I did read it. It was about people who crack their lids and don't report it. Doesn't make any difference. We are talking about injury rates. I'm quite prepared to believe that the rate of people who crack their lids and don't report it goes up with increased rates of helmet-wearing. I'd be against helmet-wearing if only on the grounds of sparing us all from more pointless cracked-lid anecdotes.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
, let's hope his over-confidence doesn't result in risk compensation and an accident in which lay is well and truly FACT.
Thats a bit w**k glen.

No matter how much your opinion varies from another persons, id suggest wishing them ill via insinuation is a step too far.
I really don't like the bullying tone that this thread,which was meant as a discussion has fallen into.
So what if lay hasn't read the data, so what if he is misinformed, so what if he chooses to form an opinion that harms no one after all those that are truly smart will not be influenced by his views...right? There are far too many members in this thread who are simply trying to stir Lay up to trip over his own words and then enjoy feeding on the result.
I don't recall Shaun issuing conditions of membership to cyclechat that state that one must be informed, or be prepared to trawl data sheets or be articulate ...or even be able to spell.

Just that you enjoy bikes.

Lay ...there is a bottom line here, It isn't a fact that lids save lives, there is data...compelling data in fact, to suggest the contrary. If you choose to make a choice based upon personal experience, intuition, fashion or just the direction of the wind, then this is fine by me, i wish you all the best.
I choose to wear a lid, I've tried riding without it and enjoyed it greatly, actually made me feel a bit special to be honest...but despite this and despite reading up on some of the data, i ride with a lid. The reason for doing so is not up for debate, is not up for discussion...its my choice. Anyone who tells me i am wrong...is wrong too. Any one who tells me i must wear one, is equally wrong.

Mods, can we close this now please...its getting a little daft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom