Has your man just bought a new bike? Looks like he's having a mid-life crisis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
See link

http://www.dailymail...sportscars.html

Buying a flashy sports car has long been held as a tell-tale sign that a chap is speeding towards a mid-life crisis.

And now it seems even investing in that rather more sedate form of transport – the bicycle – could do too.

Rising numbers of affluent men aged 35 to 45 are turning to pedal power in a bid to project a free-wheeling image, according to research

The findings might, perhaps, partly explain why celebrities such as Guy Ritchie and Billy Zane seem so fond of cycling.

Film director Ritchie, 41, who is divorced from Madonna, once said he ‘lives on a bicycle’ while actor Zane, 44, has admitted going ‘bar-hopping’ on his bike after his split from Kelly Brook

And if you thought spokes and chains don’t have quite the same allure as turbo chargers and sun roofs, then think again.

While a bike lacks the looks of a Porsche or a Ferrari, it can send out the message that its rider has the appealing qualities of being fit, rugged and loving the planet, according to the experts.

A report by market researchers Mintel found that there was a boom in bike sales last year, with the biggest growth among men approaching middle age.

Latest figures reveal one in three Britons owns a bicycle. Overall, more men than women own a bike – and more than half of men aged 35 to 44 have one, the study shows. It dubs the upsurge in bike sales, the ‘noughties version of the mid-life crisis’ and predicts Britons will spend £700million on bikes this year.

Psychologist Cliff Arnall said: ‘With a bike, it’s all about fitness, strength and stamina. But in some ways a top of the range bicycle says many of the same things about you as a sports car – they both have a rugged, dangerous element to them.’

He added that a bike might also appeal to a man undergoing a mid-life crisis because it gives him an opportunity to spend time by yourself and contemplate.

Mintel revealed that 3.2million bikes were sold in 2009 and predicts this will increase to 4million by 2015

I knew buying Rapha socks was a step too far :biggrin:

Noodley

I'm away to sell 2 of mine - does that mean my midlife crisis is over?

rh100

I've always said to the Mrs that I couldn't afford the Ferrari so it had to be a bike

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Of all the ways the papers and radio could have presented this, including how much more useful it is to ride a bike, how much fitter we are becoming as a result of regular exercise....and all they can think of is a snide put-down.

C2C- checked! Next time Reivers Way! ....and maybe one day a LEJOG if I can find the time or when [if] I can retire!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I bought a new bike & the wife went nuts & made me return it. :B)

Sorry if that's really true but it made me chuckle nevertheless! :smile:

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I think people have realised that spendin £36 per month for gym membership is pointless when you only go twice a week to stare at some fat birds sweaty a*se on an exercise bike for an hour breathing in germs and catching verrucas in the showers.

For the same money you can have a really nice bike that'll last for years and breath fresh air (unless you're in London)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I bought a new bike & the wife went nuts & made me return it. :B)
I sort of know the feeling. Susie was just a little peeved when I blew three grand on my first Colnago. She stopped me keeping it in the bedroom, which I thought was a tad unreasonable. But as some of you will know....my evil plan has won the day!

Top Bottom