Have I done the Right Thing!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
Firstly, a bit of background.

At the start of this year, I was a big lad - 6'2" and 148 KG Yikes. Decided I'd had enough of being a fat bar steward so decided to get fit. Into the fitness equation, I factored some cycling - had always enjoyed it as a lad, but after getting a driving licence, the rest is history.

Over recent years I had two BSOs - both badly sold to me and neither of which fitted. So, in March, I found myself in Halfords. Walked out with a 22 inch framed Vulcan MTB. Riding it was a revelation after the pudding I had tried before.

Over the next few months, the occasional 3 miler around the local woods has become several six milers a week, plus a thirty (plus) miler every Saturday with a mate I had not seen for years - before getting back into cycling. Loving the pedal work so much that I also get a spin class in at least once a week at the gym. Now 129 KG and have not felt this good in years.

Anyhoo, during my Saturday ride with my mate, I have become envious of his Boardman Road Bike. We joke that with me on the Vulcan and him on the Boardman, its's like two friends out for a drive; one in his hummer and one in his MX5.

This week - after an ebay frenzy - selling lots of thing I no longer want / use / need - and with £300 ish in my pocket, I decided t go for it. After a lot of deliberation, I settled on a Carerra TDF http://www.halfords....yId_165710#dtab

Primarily, this was because I'd read good reviews and also could get 20% off for ordering on the web and collecting in store. No Brainer - mine for the princely sum of £263.

Having got it home, I adore it - I'm a relative novice but, for the price, the components look good quality and the general look and feel hints at it costing a lot more than it finally did.

After correcting the 'professional setup' that had been done in store (re-adjusted seat height, moved seat back, reset handlebars so the drops are horizontal and not canted up at 30 degrees - and torqued all bolts correctly - including the stem bolts, which were finger tight). I went for a spin.

After the inevitable fight with the toe straps - the bike felt very different to my MTB. In fact, it felt a bit small. It's not actually uncomfortable - just.......well........small.

Now, the rational part of my brain is telling me that this is because I'm now driving an MX5 - not the hummer. And they are very different beasts. When I stand it next to the MTB, it looks small - not too small - just........well......small!!!

At 6'2", everything is telling me that this frame is the right size. I've moved the seat up a little further and that's helped - but I think the demon on my shoulder is shouting buyers remorse type things directly into my brain.

So, after all that, I guess my question is - is it natural for your first road bike to feel small - after a period on a big MTB. Logic says yes - but the demons keep chipping away at me.

Think I just need to hear it from someone with more experience.

Thanks for listening.

I'll shut up now.

smithy92

A 22" frame is a big bike, and with the tdf having (iirc) a "compact frame geometry" it will definitely feel a lot different.

The only thing you can do is ride it and see how you get on. If you don't get used to it, consider things like a longer stem etc.

Let us know how you get on.

oliver

well - i have ridden mtbs since i was about 5 - then in 2010 i got a road bike - felt tiny, unstable, but very fast, so then recently i decided i needed an mtb too - went out and spent £75 on a nice 1995 Scott - but it felt HUGE - and it was one size to small by the chart, so i stuck drops on it, ect and now it feels just right - so i guess it's just what your used to!

OP
OP
IanT

IanT

A 22" frame is a big bike, and with the tdf having (iirc) a "compact frame geometry" it will definitely feel a lot different.

The only thing you can do is ride it and see how you get on. If you don't get used to it, consider things like a longer stem etc.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks Smithy92 - wise words indeed. Think it's all in my head, so hoping the love for how the bike looks and rides will overcome my silly hang-ups.

well - i have ridden mtbs since i was about 5 - then in 2010 i got a road bike - felt tiny, unstable, but very fast, so then recently i decided i needed an mtb too - went out and spent £75 on a nice 1995 Scott - but it felt HUGE - and it was one size to small by the chart, so i stuck drops on it, ect and now it feels just right - so i guess it's just what your used to!

Cheers Oliver. That's a very good example - like you say, whatever you've been used to kind of conditions you. Just need to break the programming.

Not retiring the Vulcan - it's too much flippin fun. Planning road riding on Saturdays and off-road o Sundays; best of both worlds. So hopefully, that will cross-condition me (if that makes sense). Or it could just mess my head up completely!!!

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Firstly, a bit of background.

At the start of this year, I was a big lad - 6'2" and 148 KG Yikes. Decided I'd had enough of being a fat bar steward so decided to get fit. Into the fitness equation, I factored some cycling - had always enjoyed it as a lad, but after getting a driving licence, the rest is history.

Over recent years I had two BSOs - both badly sold to me and neither of which fitted. So, in March, I found myself in Halfords. Walked out with a 22 inch framed Vulcan MTB. Riding it was a revelation after the pudding I had tried before.

Over the next few months, the occasional 3 miler around the local woods has become several six milers a week, plus a thirty (plus) miler every Saturday with a mate I had not seen for years - before getting back into cycling. Loving the pedal work so much that I also get a spin class in at least once a week at the gym. Now 129 KG and have not felt this good in years.

Anyhoo, during my Saturday ride with my mate, I have become envious of his Boardman Road Bike. We joke that with me on the Vulcan and him on the Boardman, its's like two friends out for a drive; one in his hummer and one in his MX5.

This week - after an ebay frenzy - selling lots of thing I no longer want / use / need - and with £300 ish in my pocket, I decided t go for it. After a lot of deliberation, I settled on a Carerra TDF http://www.halfords....yId_165710#dtab

Primarily, this was because I'd read good reviews and also could get 20% off for ordering on the web and collecting in store. No Brainer - mine for the princely sum of £263.

Having got it home, I adore it - I'm a relative novice but, for the price, the components look good quality and the general look and feel hints at it costing a lot more than it finally did.

After correcting the 'professional setup' that had been done in store (re-adjusted seat height, moved seat back, reset handlebars so the drops are horizontal and not canted up at 30 degrees - and torqued all bolts correctly - including the stem bolts, which were finger tight). I went for a spin.

After the inevitable fight with the toe straps - the bike felt very different to my MTB. In fact, it felt a bit small. It's not actually uncomfortable - just.......well........small.

Now, the rational part of my brain is telling me that this is because I'm now driving an MX5 - not the hummer. And they are very different beasts. When I stand it next to the MTB, it looks small - not too small - just........well......small!!!

At 6'2", everything is telling me that this frame is the right size. I've moved the seat up a little further and that's helped - but I think the demon on my shoulder is shouting buyers remorse type things directly into my brain.

So, after all that, I guess my question is - is it natural for your first road bike to feel small - after a period on a big MTB. Logic says yes - but the demons keep chipping away at me.

Think I just need to hear it from someone with more experience.

Thanks for listening.

I'll shut up now.

I'm 6ft1 and ride a 58 frame. It's the right size for you, but as you've found just having a history of MTB it will feel odd. Get the miles under your belt and it will start to feel right. BTW road biking is going to take your weight loss up a gear. I, like you, started biking again to loose weight, having dropped from 118KG to 92KG now in 5 months, just by cycling.

Keep up the good work :smile:

okeydokey79

Just done same thing Ian n brought the tdf, like u always rode a mtb, but love the bike only done 100 miles so far and cant wait get out on it again, i took the straps off the pedals, felt bit smaller but put that down 2 posistion on drops not bein upright like on mtb, but mtb will b out wen the weather turns to snow n ice:sad:

Rob500

Ian. When I first sat on my bike I thought exactly the same. "This thing feels a bit small".

Boy!! Was I wrong. It perfect. You'll get used to it. No back or arm ache on long rides due to having to overstretch etc.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I wonder whether it's simply because your head is further forward on a road bike than it would be on a MTB.

Take the bike out for a decent spin, think about the little tweaks (saddle back, or up, a little?), and if it feels good at the end of your ride, then you've made the right choice...the perfect bike is always too expensive so you're in the world of realism. If you're happy riding it, if you start looking forward to tomorrow's ride, well, then it's good for you.

OP
OP
IanT

IanT

I'm 6ft1 and ride a 58 frame. It's the right size for you, but as you've found just having a history of MTB it will feel odd. Get the miles under your belt and it will start to feel right. BTW road biking is going to take your weight loss up a gear. I, like you, started biking again to loose weight, having dropped from 118KG to 92KG now in 5 months, just by cycling.

Keep up the good work :smile:

Strewth, mate, that's good weight loss.

Thanks for the words of wisdom - much appreciated.
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
IanT

IanT

Ian. When I first sat on my bike I thought exactly the same. "This thing feels a bit small".

Boy!! Was I wrong. It perfect. You'll get used to it. No back or arm ache on long rides due to having to overstretch etc.

Thanks Rob500.

I think I know it's going to be right - it's just that niggle you get when you've shelled out a few hundred pounds on something.

OP
OP
IanT

IanT

I wonder whether it's simply because your head is further forward on a road bike than it would be on a MTB.

Take the bike out for a decent spin, think about the little tweaks (saddle back, or up, a little?), and if it feels good at the end of your ride, then you've made the right choice...the perfect bike is always too expensive so you're in the world of realism. If you're happy riding it, if you start looking forward to tomorrow's ride, well, then it's good for you.

That's a good point - the MTB is very upright, head back. Moving your head nearer the bars must, I guess, give an illusion of the bike being smaller than it is.

Cheers.

OP
OP
IanT

IanT

Just done same thing Ian n brought the tdf, like u always rode a mtb, but love the bike only done 100 miles so far and cant wait get out on it again, i took the straps off the pedals, felt bit smaller but put that down 2 posistion on drops not bein upright like on mtb, but mtb will b out wen the weather turns to snow n ice:sad:

Cheers OkeyDokey.

Actually, I have a plan for the pedal straps - not sure if anyone's tried this already, or thinks I'm certifiable.

I thought I may unbolt the plastic toe strap, heat it up with a heat gun until malleable, form it around the front of my riding shoe and let it set.

Not sure that the plastic would take that - but I'm going to replace the pedals anyway - so have nothing to lose really.

Thanks again.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm 6' 1", 32-33" inside leg measurement, and my bikes have 58 cm frames. I have my saddles set fairly well forward and use 11 cm stems. I'd have thought that your bike should fit you pretty well if you set the saddle back a bit further than I have mine. If necessary you could fit a longer stem, but give yourself a chance to get used to the bike first.

That's assuming that your body proportions are fairly 'normal'. If you have short legs and a long body, your bike might actually be one size too small.

OP
OP
IanT

IanT

Thanks ColinJ.

I know what you mean about the 58cm frame. In fact, the Vulcan is a 58.

Perhaps one of the niggles is the fact that the TDF uses compact geometry - so if you measure the crank to top tube, it's 51cm - but an equivalent to their 58cm frame.

I do get this - more upright geometry will result in greater clearance between top tube and floor, versus crank and floor. And I'm pretty sure I'll soon get used to it.

Think I need to just get out and quieten those voices.

Thanks again.

bizzarely I'm the opposite, at 6'1 my road bike felt big the first few times I rode it

I'd been used to my 18 inch inbred frame and before that a 15 inch orange msisle.

You sit much more upright on a mountain bike and quite tucked up on a road bike, it's like swapping between a honda gold wing motorbike and a Ducatti super moto.

Top Bottom